HTC/Garmin: Join the spring ride

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Meh, I just put a couple of bids in and got instantly outbid.

I'll leave it a few days - I'm more than happy to pay a few £k for that experience.
  • That looks incredible. Shame I don't a few grand to spare!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It looks like you'd be in a car at the back of the race, the front car will have the DS, mechanic and wheels, I fear you might in the no.2 car or with the soigneurs. Certainly the Garmin offer to get you in the Roubaix velodrome implies you won't be behind the race.

It'll be interesting to see how the bidding goes, certainly I'd favour Garmin over the slightly dour Columbia-HTC.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Sigh. If only.......would be worth working a lot of over-time for.

I'd go for Columbia-HTC. Hope they'll be doing this again.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Roubaix > Flanders and it seems the bidders agree so far...

$3,550.00 for Garmin and $2,481.00 for Columbia with 8 days left
  • Tusher
    D'you reckon JV and Uncle Bob are bumping up the bidding to out-do each other?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Tusher wrote:

More likely that each is bidding to get one of their own guys in the opposition's car, who'll lunge for the steering wheel at an opportune moment - JV gets Bradley put in a ditch and HTC get the blame.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

More likely that each is bidding to get one of their own guys in the opposition's car, who'll lunge for the steering wheel at an opportune moment - JV gets Bradley put in a ditch and HTC get the blame.

LOL, sporting espionage!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Is George Hincapie bidding? It's one way for him to get to the Roubaix velodrome ahead of the others.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Kléber wrote:
    Is George Hincapie bidding? It's one way for him to get to the Roubaix velodrome ahead of the others.

With his luck, the car would break down on the Carrefour de L'Arbre!
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Kléber wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I'm sure this isn't as good as it sounds. Can't beleive that either team would do anything, which would potentially compromise rider support. Reckon you'll be kept well clear of the sharp end action at the back of the race. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go, but wouldn't pay thousands for it (unless, of course, I was a millionaire and money was no object!).
  • Cervelo were doing something similar last year, but it was like a holiday style booking than auction. I think it cost something like £1k for a weekend at Paris-Roubaix, including the loan of a Cervelo R3 and ride with a team member on part of the pave the day before, and VIP seating in the stadium or something.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Alas, the Cervelo trips are more like £3,000 a pop.
    Whilst you get to meet the team, ride their bikes (in full pro set up), get £750 worth of Cervelo 'goodies', you actually watch the race in a group, accompanied by Gerard Vroomen (co-founder of Cervelo). I did have a look last year and one of the options was to be part of the 'spare wheel' team on the course, although would assume you'd have to demonstrate some skill at changing wheels quickly?! Jeez, can you imagine having Thor or Haussler stood there waiting for your to deliver - eeeeeekkk!!!!
  • deal
    fine print added to ebay listings

Garmin Fine Print: The auction winner will receive two seats in the team car which will be moving from cobbled section to cobbled section providing wheel support. This car will NOT be directly behind the main race group, and may NOT be at every single cobbled section during the race. IT is however, the best place to be in the race!

Columbia Fine Print: The auction winner will receive two seats in the team car which will be moving from cobbled section to cobbled section providing wheel support. This car will NOT be directly behind the main race group, and may NOT be at every single cobbled section during the race. IT is however, the best place to be in the race! Winners of this auction will ALSO receive the very cool HTC HD2 mobile device. The HD2 is the latest HTC device that Team HTC-Columbia riders are using. Recently released, it is the world's first capacitive touch technology on a Windows® phone. It has 1 GHz processing power to ensure a smooth fast response, a 4.3-inch pixel-packed display and is the first Windows phone to embody HTC Sense™.
  • Tusher
    As I thought, they read every word written here.
  • deal
    auctions ended with pretty impressive figures

Garmin US $10,100.00
    Columbia US $8,988.00
  • Tusher
    Wow. And double wow- that's a lot of cash.

Hope they enjoy their trip though.