Poor Ricco

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,477
edited February 2010 in Pro race
His dream of winning Milan-San Remo have been thwarted by RCS, as Ceramica Flaminia haven't been invited, nor to Tirreno either.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    That's a shame :lol:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He'll just have to project his delusions of a comeback via his missus... err, no wait a minute :wink:
  • it is a shame in some ways though, Rat boy might have livened things up at the end, could have made it even less predictable.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Ohdearhowsadnevermind
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    markwalker wrote:
    it is a shame in some ways though, Rat boy might have livened things up at the end, could have made it even less predictable.

Assuming he'd even be in contention.

I doubt he's raced clean since his early teens.
  • The RCS are a bunch of women! :P :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Couldn't have happened to a nicer fella
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I dunno.... I couldn't really give a toss about the guy given what he did and how unrepentant he's been about it. But....Just from a human perspective rather than a racing one - having just finished Rendell's book on Pantani, there's a bit of me that's just a little uncomfortable with the way he's being almost hounded (I wouldn't go as far as using the word "persecuted") by race organisers and the media. He doesn't come across as the most mature and level-headed individual, so I hope he has some good people around him and that he doesn't go anywhere near the path Pantani ended up going down.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    DaveyL wrote:
    I dunno.... I couldn't really give a toss about the guy given what he did and how unrepentant he's been about it. But....Just from a human perspective rather than a racing one - having just finished Rendell's book on Pantani, there's a bit of me that's just a little uncomfortable with the way he's being almost hounded (I wouldn't go as far as using the word "persecuted") by race organisers and the media. He doesn't come across as the most mature and level-headed individual, so I hope he has some good people around him and that he doesn't go anywhere near the path Pantani ended up going down.
    Oh yea,some good people.......Like his Missus :?: .... :lol::lol::lol:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    DaveyL wrote:

+1

The guy cheated at sport at no more no less he didnt murder or rape someone i think the way he is being percieved is in vast contrast to that other welll known cheat Basso who lied and slithered his way around for the best part of a year . So RR seems a bit of a di ck big deal many cyclists indeed many people in all walks of life are d icks . He has served his time i dont see why the total negativity towards him and not other drugs cheats.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    DaveyL wrote:

Do you think the taking of PEDs makes you bad person ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I hope they get in the Giro, though, just for Andrea Noe to complete yet another grand tour. It'll be his 300th or something!
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I wish they would let him ride.

He did his time.
  • DaveyL wrote:

Thanks DaveyL, I totally agree. I also get the impression that he may be a little vulnerable.
    Hell, I've stuck up for Vino more than once on this forum, and he seems the exact opposite, but you never know.
  • I hope Ricco lights up the show in the first big event his team is allowed to ride.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crikey, I agree with Moray Gub. See how friendly things are when voldermort isn't mentioned.
    Dan
  • There's so much negativity towards him because he managed to rub almost everybody up the wrong way. I don't think anyone particularly liked him before he got caught. Not saying he deserves to be persecuted but it's understandable that there's a degree of animosity towards him.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Does Ceramica (in whatever incarnation) usually get a MSR invite?

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    calvjones wrote:
    Does Ceramica (in whatever incarnation) usually get a MSR invite?

They did last year. There's more competition this year though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • zippypablo wrote:
    There's so much negativity towards him because he managed to rub almost everybody up the wrong way. I don't think anyone particularly liked him before he got caught. Not saying he deserves to be persecuted but it's understandable that there's a degree of animosity towards him.

its the (lack of remorse) + (obvious annoyance at getting caught) = arrogant n0b

I for one look forward to him getting back in the saddle as like so many others who proclaim they will "come back as good as before but clean to prove it wasnt the drugs" and fall quietly by the wayside

.... or the di luca route, which also wouldnt surprise me with Ricco
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    While I don't have any sympathy for him, I do agree with the Gub that he's definitely getting the cold shoulder from a lot of folks who were prepared to nod an wink before he was caught. On the other hand, I think an apology should be a requisite for a comeback after doping (you too Mr Vino)

IF and its a very big IF he's trying to make a clean comeback, then all this closing of doors must be pretty awful for him. I just hope the kid doesn't take the final step in his copying of Pantani.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • nick hanson
    Moray Gub wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Do you think the taking of PEDs makes you bad person ?
    I think he needs,as has been suggested,people around him,who can offer him support,& prevent him sinking into the situation that Pantani ended up in.
    Doesn't sound like his Missus measures up to it,does she :?:
  • nick hanson
    Timoid. wrote:
    While I don't have any sympathy for him, I do agree with the Gub that he's definitely getting the cold shoulder from a lot of folks who were prepared to nod an wink before he was caught. On the other hand, I think an apology should be a requisite for a comeback after doping (you too Mr Vino)

IF and its a very big IF he's trying to make a clean comeback, then all this closing of doors must be pretty awful for him. I just hope the kid doesn't take the final step in his copying of Pantani.
    has been reported in the press that he was on the juice since 15....yes15 years old :shock:
    If so,he won't EVER make it,'clean'
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    RichN95 wrote:
    There's more competition this year though.
    And while we might jump to conclusions and blame Ricco, there is the possibility that the team got pushed aside to make room for another. There are two new ProTour teams in Sky & ShackStrong, for starters.

I would find it easier to like/forgive/cut some slack to Ricco if I thought having done his time he was repentant. After all, isn't that what part of what punishment is intended to do? "I did wrong. I won't do it again" (the last being the most important). From what I've read so far we haven't seen any such admission from Ricco yet.

While it looks as if this is the media and Cav's "internet forum people" dishing it out, some pro cyclists aren't happy to see him back in the peloton either.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.