Maxxis Medusa 1.8 vs 2.1?

Trent Steel
Trent Steel Posts: 31
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently running a pair of Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 tyres and am finding them tough going on the muddy trails, very energy sapping and have to peddle hard just to keep going :(

The only good thing about the current tyres is due to their volume they offer a comfy ride on the rear, I ride a hardtail and am 15 stone.

So I'm looking to get some thinner mud tyres and the Medusa seem to fit the bill as they are relatively cheap are much lighter than my current tyre and have good reviews. However cannot decide on whether to go for 1.8 or 2.1 version.

I'm worried the 1.8" version may not offer very much comfort but on the other hand the 2.1" Medusa may not be much different to the 2.35" tyres is terms of drag.

Anyone have an opinions on a choice of size, I don't race but I would like to be able to still travel at pace despite muddy conditions.

have also considered the Bontrager Mud X, but can't get them as cheaply and have heard the sidewalls are prone to damage.

Comments

• Eldrik
    Eldrik Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    The 1.8" Medusa is not very comfortable on anything other than mud when compared to a 2.1" Crossmark (never mind a 2.35" Ignitor) even for me at around 11 stone, as it is pretty skinny. It is a great tyre in sticky conditions though....

The 2.1" Medusa might be a more forgiving ride, but it depends how thick the mud is where you are as to whether you could get away with the wider Medusa.

Play safe and get the 2.1"? It's still a better bet in the mud than your Ignitor, I would say!
  • I like my 2.1 however I only have it on the front so far. High Roller on the back soon to be changed.
    Marin Nail Trail with a few modifications...

http://fatmongoose.pinkbike.com/album/Marin/
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above. I have a pair of 2.1 Medusa Exceptions in the shed for when it's really muddy but although they are err...exceptional in mud/snow/sand, they are very skinny. They're not too bad on other surfaces but they are very squirrely on hardpack and positively lethal on damp roots.
  • hmm, may have to rethink the choice if they are not good on roots then. thanks for the input
  • Had the same problem with my ignitors and got the 2.1 Medeusas.Great mud tyre,not as comfy as the 2.35 ignitors,but if in the goop there is is a softer ride anyway.No need to go to 1.8 , 2.1 will give you all the traction you need and you wont be pulling a few kg of mud around the trail with you.But be warned, the medeusas are mud specific and are very skittish on hardpack(trail centres) and if you dont straighline those roots you will washout.I am going to try 2.1 High rollers as a compromise on trails with mixed terrain myself, will let you know in a few weeks how I get on.
  • sadkowsr
    sadkowsr Posts: 1
    I've 1.8. For big snow is great. You're riding like a tank. But on packed snow sometimes i'm falling down. (I start in MTB Marathon).

This is my short movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V61ReeOT7CE
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    You could try high rollers as a all rounder tyre that a few people have said are good.

I'm considering getting a set of 2.1s to try over a vareity of terrain gravel, muddy bits and hard soil etc