Propedal settings and their uses

trekex977
trekex977 Posts: 95
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I was at Afan the week before last and was playing about with the propedal settings on my rp23 shock and the float rlc forks.

tbh I couldnt find any use for the 1st and 2nd settings on the shock or the forks.

My question is, is it just a personnel preference as to the degree of lockout or do other members change the settings depending on conditions?

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Tbh I jam the sucker on full for climbing and pretty much full off, or a couple of clicks on for racing / sprinting.

Mine's 14 clicks from full on to full off, which is pretty piontless, they're 3 position now for a reason.
  • I assume you know that the 3 different settings on the RP23 are for setting the firmness when the pro pedal is on and they have no effect when in travel mode.

So mine is on 3/Firm as I really don't see the point of it being able to move when I want it to be as firm as possible and not bob
  • Enduro 07 wrote:
    I assume you know that the 3 different settings on the RP23 are for setting the firmness when the pro pedal is on and they have no effect when in travel mode.

So mine is on 3/Firm as I really don't see the point of it being able to move when I want it to be as firm as possible and not bob

Thats the point I am getting at. Is there really a purpose for the other settings other than full firmness. I use 3 on the shock mostly and one click from all the way in on the fork.

............I think i have just answered my own question haha..................its personal preference.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Mines never off full bouncy, played with it when I first got the frame, bit of a novelty, if I wanted a firm rear end I would of bought a HT. Personally think my bike climbs better without it turned on. And I don't lock the forks out either.
  • i only run mine on setting 3 or fully off.

never seem to use settings 1 or 2
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    stu8975 wrote:
    Mines never off full bouncy, played with it when I first got the frame, bit of a novelty, if I wanted a firm rear end I would of bought a HT. Personally think my bike climbs better without it turned on. And I don't lock the forks out either.

This is a good point i reckon. I never notice when i forget to put pro-pedal on but always notice if i forget to turn it off.
  • Only time a switch my ProPedal on is on long road sections. I thing it needs that bit ofgive even on the firmest setting so you don't blow a seal on a big hit :?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • stu8975 wrote:

Same here, what's the point of spending all that money on big bouncy forks and shocks then deliberately making them worse? I find it amusing watching people at the side of the trail turning their knobs oo-er
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No one has mentioned suspension design yet ;-)

Pro pedal is essential low speed compression damping adjustment, which can be very useful. Some designs inherently bob more than others, and we all don't pedal the same. This is why the standard shocks can feel different to different people. Some bikes may well climb better with it off. Some might not. To some riders.
  • supersonic wrote:
    No one has mentioned suspension design yet ;-)

Pro pedal is essential low speed compression damping adjustment, which can be very useful. Some designs inherently bob more than others, and we all don't pedal the same. This is why the standard shocks can feel different to different people. Some bikes may well climb better with it off. Some might not. To some riders.

Bravo! Well put SS..

So on my bouncer ProPedal combined with (Felt's) Equilink (suspension design) works exceptionally well for me.. it's the best combo I've come across yet...