The perfect commuter

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I am 108 miles in on the latest addition to the two-wheeled family and I have to say the Giant TCX really is the perfect bike to commute on.

Now, I would say that to justify buying it, of course, but here's why:

It's heavy - which means when I go out to play on the road bike it will feel amazing
It has mudguards, which means I don't think "it might rain later, I had better drive just in case"
It has a pannier rack, which is SO much better than carrying even the lightest pack
It has places for bottle cages
It has a compact chainset, which has all the gears I will ever need on my commute
It has anti theft skewers which means I only need one D-lock when I leave it, and don't worry that someone might nick the wheels.
It has good robust wheels and tyres which are coping well with all the potholes

It has not taken me much longer to get to work than it ever did (maybe 3 or 4
minutes over nearly 12 miles), and it handles beautifully.

If you are considering a new purchase which will cope with the demands of a longish commute and winter, I would urge you to consider a cyclocross bike.

(advertising slot over - Giant, you can pay me commission)
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,375
    Just out of interest why did you select the Giant TCX over the ubiquitous Tricross?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Just out of interest why did you select the Giant TCX over the ubiquitous Tricross?

or something interesting?
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Why does it need to be interesting?

I tried out what they had in - I am a bit of an impulse buyer. Where bikes are concerned I haven't made a bad decision yet
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    The perfect commuter?
    Light steel frame, drops, belt drive, S3X 3-speed fixed gear, mud-guards, toe-clips, cantis or Vs. 700x25/28c.
    Cheers,
    W.