What 'summer' bike??

jopari
jopari Posts: 84
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I've been riding a Dawes discovery hybrid thingy for 4 years now, which has been a great servant. But all this talk of 'summer' and 'winter' bikes has tempted me into looking into cyclescheme through work, and a lovely fast roadie for those balmy summer evenings.

My heart is rullling my head at the moment, and am looking for a 'steely'. Should I go for:
a) Kona Honky Tonk (love the bike, but not keen on this years colour). http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=honkytonk (so budget in the £750 category)
b) Woodrups (of Leeds) make me a nice bespoke bike for around the same price.
c) Something else (is steel just an aesthetic thing, or are there real advantages for longevity and ride?)

Thanks all!
Cannondale R800 - Dry
Kona Honky Tonk - Wet
'96 GT Outpost - Kids on back
Genesis Core 120 - Mud
Raleigh Pro Race - Shop

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    jopari wrote:
    .... (is steel just an aesthetic thing, or are there real advantages for longevity and ride?) ... !

I like steel, but, to be objective, you can make a good bike out of any of the popular options. There are tradeoffs, and they shift a bit with the price point, but the only real answer is to try for yourself and see what you like.
    In terms of longevity- I have (and use) a good steel frame that's over sixty years old, I've also written off two cheap steel hacks as a result of rusting due to abuse. An Aluminium frame can also corrode and a bad one may well be vulnerable to fatigue failure (Al doesn't have a "fatigue limit", so if there's a strain-point on the frame it will eventually crack). This shouldn't happen if the frame's been made correctly.
    Carbon-fibre frames don't rust, but are alleged to be more vulnerable to impact damage (CF is extremely strong but the material is brittle, so impacts may weaken the frame).
    I don't think you can get a good CF framed bike for £750, but I might be wrong....

Hope this helps. I'd be inclined to think about your long term plans for the bike- will you keep it indefinitely or will it be replaced in a few years with something exotic and even more expensive? Will you use it solely for summer day rides, or might you want to take it touring, do sportives or audax events?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    A summer bike is a thing of beauty. An exotica only to be used in the warm dry months.

This bike isn't for the daily grind. It is pampered and always cleans. It has that showroom look.

:)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I too love steel. Apart from all the logical stuff WGW said, a good quality steel frame just feels great.

For your option 3) I'd say, you have a bunch of other options. There are many other local (UK) builders - so I'd suggest shop around and get exactly what you want.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Steel!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Maybe beyond budget, but an ogle will do you no harm at all: :)

http://www.enigmabikes.com/elite.html
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've got various bikes, but my Acciaio is my summer one. And winter one. And commuter. And weekend bike.

Comfortable, well made, quite quick, looks good IMO. And not too pricey.
  • jopari
    jopari wrote:
    .... (is steel just an aesthetic thing, or are there real advantages for longevity and ride?) ... !

I like steel, but, to be objective, you can make a good bike out of any of the popular options. There are tradeoffs, and they shift a bit with the price point, but the only real answer is to try for yourself and see what you like.
    In terms of longevity- I have (and use) a good steel frame that's over sixty years old, I've also written off two cheap steel hacks as a result of rusting due to abuse. An Aluminium frame can also corrode and a bad one may well be vulnerable to fatigue failure (Al doesn't have a "fatigue limit", so if there's a strain-point on the frame it will eventually crack). This shouldn't happen if the frame's been made correctly.
    Carbon-fibre frames don't rust, but are alleged to be more vulnerable to impact damage (CF is extremely strong but the material is brittle, so impacts may weaken the frame).
    I don't think you can get a good CF framed bike for £750, but I might be wrong....

Hope this helps. I'd be inclined to think about your long term plans for the bike- will you keep it indefinitely or will it be replaced in a few years with something exotic and even more expensive? Will you use it solely for summer day rides, or might you want to take it touring, do sportives or audax events?

Cheers,
    W.

Thanks for the feedback. It'll almost solely be used for commuting in summer and the odd weekend ride. I'm more a runner than a cyclist, so doubt I'll be upgrading it much, or buying a shinier one the next year. This needs to be a bike to be proud of, and to last a good few years without too much fettling.
    Cannondale R800 - Dry
    Kona Honky Tonk - Wet
    Genesis Core 120 - Mud
    Raleigh Pro Race - Shop
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Yup, I have my summer bikes (see sig), and my winter bikes (see sig). No, the Viner has not been rested......
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736

You can on eBay. I did (well, it was £785) ;)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    3400506659_b762f0a0ca_m.jpg
    clicky for big

My summer bike

2004 Orbea Gavia with Triple (well I do live in Devon)
    Al frame, 25mm michellin pro race, rear wheel replaced with indestructible Ridga Chrina, Brooks Swift

I'd say forget the steel framed nonsense and get a bike like this. A good marque but Al and lower end. The ride is excellent
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    vorsprung wrote:
    clicky for big

My summer bike

2004 Orbea Gavia with Triple (well I do live in Devon)
    Al frame, 25mm michellin pro race, rear wheel replaced with indestructible Ridga Chrina, Brooks Swift

I'd say forget the steel framed nonsense and get a bike like this. A good marque but Al and lower end. The ride is excellent

No excuse for a triple. Get out with the mid devon cc, every sunday Abrook Sports Field Car park.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    vorsprung wrote:

Why are your bars tilted down like that?
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • vorsprung
    symo wrote:
    No excuse for a triple. Get out with the mid devon cc, every sunday Abrook Sports Field Car park.

In Kingsteignton? Bit too far to be arsed. Also I don't race or test.
    I'm on the border with Somerset, about 20 miles east of Exeter
    My commute is a 50km round trip to Taunton, 600 metres ascent over the Blackdowns.
  • vorsprung
    0scar wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Why are your bars tilted down like that?

I am deviant
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    depending on what size you are, there is honky tonk on ebay (new I think) for around £500. I think they look like nice bikes too....
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I'm not a Kona fan - I think their bikes are far too knowingly "cool", but the one you've picked on is nice and for £750 isn't bad value

Other usual suspects would include Spesh Allez (?Sport?), whatever cheapies Wiggle are doing (Focus usually), Boardmans??, etc.

Also, your LBS may be having a sale - if you're massively tall or a midget you may be able to pick up a bargain. If you're a medium in all directions (ahem) then you've probably missed the boat.

Oh and then there's the various Ribble options.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • jopari
    SecretSam wrote:
    I'm not a Kona fan - I think their bikes are far too knowingly "cool", but the one you've picked on is nice and for £750 isn't bad value

Other usual suspects would include Spesh Allez (?Sport?), whatever cheapies Wiggle are doing (Focus usually), Boardmans??, etc.

Also, your LBS may be having a sale - if you're massively tall or a midget you may be able to pick up a bargain. If you're a medium in all directions (ahem) then you've probably missed the boat.

Oh and then there's the various Ribble options.

Cheers for input. I'm not really up on brands, but I used to drool over Kona mountain bikes when a kid, so I like 'em. What I know I DON'T like are the Specialized Allez bikes with the bendy top tube. I'm after classic, simple lines and nothing 'faddy'.

Good tip on sales, but I'm medium evey direction, so maybe not much for me! Are Ribbles only available from website/phone/factory, or do LBS stock them (I'm in Leeds).

thanks for ideas.
    Cannondale R800 - Dry
    Kona Honky Tonk - Wet
    Genesis Core 120 - Mud
    Raleigh Pro Race - Shop