1.25 tyres for mountain bike commuting

tatman69
tatman69 Posts: 176
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I posted this in the MTB forum but probably bettter here.

Looking for recomendations for 26 x 1.25 tyres for my daily commute of 16 miles.

Thanks

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Schwalbe Citi Jet. Great tyres.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Continental Sport Contact.
  • tatman69
    looking for something around the 270grams or less
  • tatman69 wrote:
    looking for something around the 270grams or less

That's fairly light for a MTB bike wheel. My 25mm race bike tyres weight approx 300g.

I use Halfords 26 x1.5 slicks. I'm sure it's the same as a Schwalbe tyre, just unbranded. I haven't have a punt* in a year! Bought them 3 years ago.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • tatman69
    Sorry I meant to type 330 grams..thats what my MTB tyres weigh..maxxis flyweights...think these codein tablets are sending me loopy
  • spez fat boys.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • lateralus wrote:
    Continental Sport Contact.

+1, but I after knocked off I have the reflex ones with reflective side walls! I like!

Sport Contact Reflex 26"x1.3" are 450g
    UltraGatorskin 26"x1.2" are 350g
    Grand Prix 26"x1.2" are 310g
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Schwalbe Citi Jet. Great tyres.

+ 1
    FCN 3/5/9
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Are you sure your rims can take tyres that narrow? One of mine has a minimum of 1.75 and the other 1.5.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I ran 26x1.0 tyres on my Mavic XC517 and 717 rims for 2 years, they are 17mm wide (internal I presume) and are rated for 1.0 to 2.1. Should be ok with rims of 17-19mm I would guess.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    tatman69 wrote:
    Sorry I meant to type 330 grams..thats what my MTB tyres weigh..maxxis flyweights...think these codein tablets are sending me loopy
    Light weight will bring with it the increased chance of a visit from the P-fairy. Not fun on a cold, wet Friday evening when you just want to get home.

Schwalbe City Jet 1.5s have served me well, I see no reason to change. Specialized All Condition Pro come in 1.0". Schwalbe Durano 26x1.1" folding are pretty darn light at 260g while the 1.35" wire bead version is 395g.

On-One are doing Conti Sport Contacts and some MTB tyres for a tenner each here.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Just had a look at the City jets out of curiosity and they're really well priced.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/9567.html
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • I have got Geax Street Runner only cost £10 last year

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Geax_ ... 360010485/
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus 1.3. £19 at Spa Cycles.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus 1.3. £19 at Spa Cycles.
    775 grammes!

They also have the Marathon Racer 1.5" for £15, weighing 385g.

@Buckled_Rims, City Jets are great value, you will find pairs for under £20 from some good ebay sellers too.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    My votes is for the Conti - but that is only because I haven't tried the other suggestions...
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I've had Maxxis Xenith 1.5" slicks on my retro Klein for a couple of years, very comfy, roll well & look good to boot - at a push you can squeeze normal 1.75-2.1" sized inner tubes in them too which is nice. Never tried them in pi$hing it down rain though for obvious reasons - if you're using them 4 seasons you might be better with something with at least some tread. Also used to run 1" slicks before those which I felt were just slightly flimsy on a mtb, can't remember what they were now...
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Another plug for the City Jets - only thing that has punctured one of mine was a large shard of glass that wedged itself in the rubber!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    The City jets are an excellent tyre , as are Conti Double Fighter 2's - which i'm currently running (so far with no unscheduled deflations) :D
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    I used some Kenda Kwik Roller Sport 26x1.25" tyres which were great - in fact I dont remember any unscheduled deflations on them, however with a wire bead they were built for ruggedness not lighness. I got mine from sprockets uk for a really good price.

I then tried some Specialized all condition pros from my lbs (Putney Cycles), which are 26x1" and very light and fast - in fact they were so fast I could keep up with and pass roadies on the commute home (maybe that or I was getting a lot fitter). Unfortunately they weren't as resilient as the Kwick roller sports and I did suffer from a few flats on them.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • tatman69
    These seem a very good price and you guys reccomend them.

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/info_TYCOSC2613.html