Who works on your bike?

2»

Comments

• TBC, wheel truing isnt that difficult! i use two cable ties cut so they touch the rim off the seat stay and you can get them pretty much bob on from that!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i dont get why people dont fot their own head sets and BB's?
    i have never had to ask a LBS to do something as simple as that??
    I have mind asked them to true and replace spokes before, but that only down to the fact i havent got a sopke key and the last spoke i broke was on mavic crossmax and they have stupid blade spokes and they took a month to get here from some mountain village in the french alps where there made by santas elves who are flown in once a month via santas sleigh being pulled by reteired raindear
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWSurfbum wrote:
    mavic crossmax and they have stupid blade spokes and they took a month to get here from some mountain village in the french alps where there made by santas elves who are flown in once a month via santas sleigh being pulled by reteired raindear

Ha ha - one of the main problems with Crossmax/Mavic in the eternal debate. Heard about 7 stories just on this forum over the last 3 or so years......
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Do everything myself apart from BB facing. Even built a frame once Aluminium frames were just coming out and a mate had access to ally tubing that fell off the back of the stores department where he worked. Made ourselves a frame jig from scaffold pole and got Tig welding. We manged to make two pieces of wobbly shit and realised it wasnt quite as easy as we thought :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    VWSurfbum wrote:

I'd fit a BB, in fact I've removed and refitted my current one several times. But if I was building up a new frame, I wouldn't buy the £300 tool for face the BB shell.

As for headsets, personally I've never had to do it, so I'm not entirely sure what it involves. But if it needs an expensive press, which I don't have, then I'll just take it to the LBS. Whereas I've bought a kit with most tools in because I use them fairly often, but I'd have to face dozens of frames or fit loads of headsets to make those tools worthwhile.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    edited February 2010
    bails87 wrote:
    VWSurfbum wrote:

I'd fit a BB, in fact I've removed and refitted my current one several times. But if I was building up a new frame, I wouldn't buy the £300 tool for face the BB shell.

As for headsets, personally I've never had to do it, so I'm not entirely sure what it involves. But if it needs an expensive press, which I don't have, then I'll just take it to the LBS. Whereas I've bought a kit with most tools in because I use them fairly often, but I'd have to face dozens of frames or fit loads of headsets to make those tools worthwhile.

I paid about £55 for my headset press, and it's intuitive, very well made (better than the really basic parktools version which is a tenner more) and works/b]. A trained monkey could use it. after 2 headset fittings it has pretty much paid for itself. And I shall probably have it for years.

Someone will probably reply to this saying you need X and Y for £200/300 but the cold hard fact here is that you don't. Mine is not going to break, is simple and effective and again works.

It's this one:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10225
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    bails87 wrote:
    VWSurfbum wrote:

What do people think is so hard about fitting a BB? Or is it only external bearing ones that are easy....?
  • bails87
    I'd assumed people meant the facing, not the actual fitting of the BB, as that's pretty simple. RTFM to see how many spacers you need, fit them, and then screw it in.

Cheese: Cheers, again, if I ever need to fit a headset I'll consider buying it. I like to do everything else myself, but right now I don't see myself ever using it.
    MTB/CX

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

thats the same model as mine, i bought it about 3 yrs ago, it cost me 35 quid and i have used it a dozen times i reckon. proper good bit of kit.

• thats the same model as mine, i bought it about 3 yrs ago, it cost me 35 quid and i have used it a dozen times i reckon. proper good bit of kit.

Aye, it's solid as you like, just shows you how things have gone up and not just shimano!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    even for the current price it is an absolute essential i reckon, esp if you have paid good money for a good headset, the idea of knocking a headset in wth a block and mallet makes my blood run cold!
  • bails87
    Why have you fitted so many headsets? You're not breaking them every 3 months are you? :?
    MTB/CX

• use Carl of BikeLove in Glasgow a nicer more knowledgable bloke you'll never meet. Almost don't want to learn how to maintain my bike to give him the business. I would recommend anyone in glasgow to pop into his shop on Queen Margaret Drive
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • You don't see Steve Peat wrenching teh spanners on his own bike. Similarly my LBS takes care of my bike for me. :lol:
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    I fix my own punctures :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'