Commuter bike recommendations

willardx
willardx Posts: 20
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,
I need to replace my 15 yr old Specialized Crossroads which I use for a short daily commute (around 6 miles return).
I dont want the bike to be too nickable so will distress with old rack etc and I can go up to about £500.
I want something with hub gear (3 to 8) which is not too heavy.
I am looking at a low end Trek Soho or Specialized San Fran 2 ( tho dont like the 26" wheels on this - prefer 700's). Also a local company does a semi custom job with 8 speed nexus hub on a Schils frame from about £450- though I have never heard of this make.
Any other recommendations or thoughts would be kindly appreciated. Ta, Will

Comments

• £500 seems pretty nickable to me :?

if i was only cycling 6 miles and was worried about it getting nicked i would cycle an old MTB with skinny tyres
  • Thanks for the input but could use some suggestions etc
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    As you know from riding the Crossroads you can pretty much use anything for 6 miles.
    You want to to think about what else you might want to do on a bike and get a bike to do that, while using it for the commute as well.
  • hey fella

you could look for a sub 200 quid single speed and get the new 3 speed sturmy archer adapter fitted (especially for single speeds. Low cost crappy looking bike with nicely designed very usable 3 speed hub. :-)

Geordie
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • ive got my eye on a fully restored Rayleigh Gran Tour for £100, thought i could put some straight bars and 1.5" tyres on it. Would then be great for bigger distances. Any thoughts ( is this an ok price) ta