So much for cleaning my bike

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Got the bike out the shed today with the intention of giving it a good clean, getting the muck my last clipless moment resulted in off.

First problem, getting the wheels off when the only stand I have is the rather unstable topek flash stand. Ended up turning the bike upside down in the end.

Next problem, getting the rear wheel back on. Kept getting caught on the wrong bit of the chain.

And now...the indexing of my gears is now completely messed up. It seems to have shifted the gears up one so 1 is the second largest cog and 7 is off the end. Not only that but the bike is now dirtier than it was with the marks from where the chain has hit the frame.

And I'm also wondering whether the rear wheel is buckled as the rear brake is rubbing one section of one side and it does look to me like it is straight (it was rubbing before I took it off).

And I now no longer have the patience (or the time actually) to try and fix it today.

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Sounds like you've not got the rear wheel in quite straight.

Undo the bolts/quick release with the bike right way up, make sure the axle is settled in the drop outs correctly (should be all the way down), and re-tighten (with the bike still the right way up).
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    No helpful relative/friend who could sort it out for you?
  • Cafewanda wrote:

I've got a mate who I have to do everything for! He's a technician but cant manage to remove/replace his rear wheel!

Most people wont mind helping you out dude, just ask!
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Have you swore at it?

Works for me :lol:
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    As long as the wheel is in the dropout correctly then the indexing should not have changed .It sounds to me like the cable has become slack in the process of cleaning...Check that you havent got a spacer on the axle in the wrong place ( there probably arnt any ) . If the indexing is out turn the adjuster on the mech a couple of clics. if it gets worse turn it back the other way to where it started from and then go a couple of clics the other way. It should get noticably better one way or the other.....If it all goes to pot the lbs should not charge much for what is a fairly simple adjustment...although it can be hard to get right the first time out.
    As for the brakes. there should be adjustment screws that allow you to center the wheel between the brake blocks so there is no rubbing. Again a simple procedure buit can be a bit hard to get spot on.

If the wheel is buckled you will se a noticable wobble when spining it . the best place to see the buckle is between the brake block and the wheel rim.

Andy
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda wrote:

I've got a mate who I have to do everything for! He's a technician but cant manage to remove/replace his rear wheel!

If you weren't so far away, I'd sign up to be mate number 2 :)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If the mech moves off the end of the cassette then you've either not put the wheel in right, bent the mech hanger, or adjusted the limit screws, assuming it was set up right in the first place.

Undo the quick release, sit on the bike, then get off, make sure the wheel is properly seated and then do the quick release back up.

If it's still not right then you probably bent the mech hanger while trying to get the wheel back in.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • suzyb
    Have you swore at it?

Yep swore at it and begged it. Managed to refrain from hitting it though. Instead I came in the house and slammed a few doors.

Unfortunately no helpful anyone who could help. Not even an LBS I could quickly pop down to as it shutdown a month or so ago.

Has anyone got one of these stands from Decathalon http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/ws-100-workstand-3960349/. Is it any good.
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

If you weren't so far away, I'd sign up to be mate number 2 :)

Damn I'm glaad i live in the sticks...!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    suzyb wrote:
    Have you swore at it?

Yep swore at it and begged it. Managed to refrain from hitting it though. Instead I came in the house and slammed a few doors.

Unfortunately no helpful anyone who could help. Not even an LBS I could quickly pop down to as it shutdown a month or so ago.

Has anyone got one of these stands from Decathalon http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/ws-100-workstand-3960349/. Is it any good.

I have never used a work stand. i am quite happy turning the bleeders upside down, and have had no problems.

Sounds like a couple of small adjustments to the brakes and/or gears and/or checking the wheel fitting.

Should be some guidance on YouTube or other web sites.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I've only really used workstands for indexing gears. For everything else I can think of, I prefer having the bike on the ground, turning over if necessary.
  • Cafewanda

That's not nice :cry:

Reaches for the chocolate tin to steady my nerves
  • Cafewanda wrote:

Living in the sticks or being glad I've only got one muppet to look after? (no offense dude!) Haha!
  • Cafewanda wrote:

Living in the sticks or being glad I've only got one muppet to look after? (no offense dude!) Haha!
  • Cafewanda wrote:

Awww, pick on someone your own size!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Cafewanda
    @ BB, my editing skills are pants today.

I missed out some words. I wouldn't be a muppet. Honest :)

Well not too much of one, anyway
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    @ BB, my editing skills are pants today.

I missed out some words. I wouldn't be a muppet. Honest :)

Well not too much of one, anyway

Well ok, if your ever in south devon and have problems with your bike gimme a shout...!
  • suzyb
    bails87 wrote:
    If the mech moves off the end of the cassette then you've either not put the wheel in right, bent the mech hanger, or adjusted the limit screws, assuming it was set up right in the first place.

Undo the quick release, sit on the bike, then get off, make sure the wheel is properly seated and then do the quick release back up.

If it's still not right then you probably bent the mech hanger while trying to get the wheel back in.
    I'll check the wheel again to make sure it is in right. If so can I just bend the hanger back a bit.

Or will I mess it up even more since I tried adjusting the limit screws when I noticed the chain was falling off.