Genius or an abomination?

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,418
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Wandering aimlessly on the internet last night, discussing shopping baskets on bikes with Mrs RJS and came across a chap who makes all sorts of cycling related baskets and wickerwork. This in particular caught my eye

http://www.hembrow.eu/tribars.jpg

The wicker chain guard is also quite...erm...interesting.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Skanky IMO.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Clearly a work of genius; now you don't need to stop for cake, you can carry a selection with you.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    what the hell is the point of having aero bars and a basket??
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Clever Pun wrote:
    A lot of people seem to think aero bars are there to save having to use your arm muscles to support your weight. There's a guy who rides a hybrid BSO across Richmond Park, with aero bars pointed up at about 45 degrees. He's always on them, even when crawling up a hill at 5mph...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    BentMikey wrote:
    Skanky IMO.

Certainly could have tidied up the rest of the bike for the photo I thought. Or is that the 'distressed' look?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Clever Pun wrote:
    A lot of people seem to think aero bars are there to save having to use your arm muscles to support your weight. There's a guy who rides a hybrid BSO across Richmond Park, with aero bars pointed up at about 45 degrees. He's always on them, even when crawling up a hill at 5mph...

Think I saw him in Borough, BSO and aero bars, wobbling away from the lights hands on the extensions, very funny.
  • Clever Pun wrote:

like the freaks who call bar ends bull horns and have them between 70 to 120 degrees. Or those with upturned drop bars...

*shudders*
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't your core muscles supposed to take the strain and your arms are supposed to be loose and basically there to guide the bike?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Ironic genius, but it would look much more effective on a Cervelo P3, with perhaps a matching wicker aero-helmeted rider.

No point in taking oneself too seriously, plus the basket could be filled with energy bars whilst on the bike leg of the Ironman.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I did actually look for a carbon-fibre basket (this is true - not for me, mind) and couldn't find one. Hole in the market?

p.s. you naysayers take yourselves way too seriously - this is great :)
  • rjsterry
    biondino wrote:
    I did actually look for a carbon-fibre basket (this is true - not for me, mind) and couldn't find one. Hole in the market?

p.s. you naysayers take yourselves way too seriously - this is great :)

Exactly. Maybe not so aero, but wicker is very lightweight, maybe even lighter than carbon? :D
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Clever Pun wrote:
    correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't your core muscles supposed to take the strain and your arms are supposed to be loose and basically there to guide the bike?

That was my understand of it too, and that if it's not the case then the fore-aft position of your saddle isn't right.
  • These things are all-too-common in Holland I'm afraid. Usually strapped to a hub gear Batavus or Gazelle.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    When Occupational Therapy goes too far.....
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    don_don wrote:
    Ironic genius, but it would look much more effective on a Cervelo P3, with perhaps a matching wicker aero-helmeted rider.

No point in taking oneself too seriously, plus the basket could be filled with energy bars whilst on the bike leg of the Ironman.

Now that is genius!
  • Perfect for the time trialist who loves their pet guinea pig, cat etc. (who naturally have a need for speed too)! :wink::lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo