Charging Garmin 705 on tour powerchimp/monkey capacity?

harpo
harpo Posts: 173
edited February 2010 in Tour & expedition
I seen a post on here recently about charging and running power monkeys and power chimps and solar charging while touring but I have a specific question.

Has anyone any experience of using these with a Garmin 705? If so which one and what did you find the charging capacity of it to be like i.e. did it fully charge the 705 or only partially or a few times? I see the units have different charging capacities for different units and I guess the Garmin requirements would be somewhere between a PSP and a PDA?

https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/000239/

I’m swaying towards this as it will be easier to get or carry a few batteries than get the other one charged.

https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powerchimp/

Cheers for any thoughts/experiences

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The PowerChimp comes with two 1800mAh batteries. You could increase this to 2x2700 MAh batteries.

If you already have the Garmin then you can check the battery capacity. (Although in my experience Garmins are very fussy about battery voltage so you are unlikely to ever completely discharge it).

The powerchimp is a useful gizmo as you can leave it in campsite shaver sockets etc - although personally I'd recommend getting a GPS that takes AA batteries so that you don't have to faff about charging the AAs and then charging the GPS. I couldn't open either of your links (website down?) so I don't know what the other product is.
  • harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    Products are powerchip and power monkey - links just worked for me, don't know what might be up.

The PowerChimp also takes normal batteries to charge your equipment so I thought that although a bit wasteful to use and disguard them it would be easier, as you say, than having to charge the batteries to charge the GPS (or phone etc). Or easier than charging the PowerMonkey to charge the GPS in my tent. It would just mean getting some batteries to carry or wherever I pass through which I thought would be better than leaving the thing charging in the toilets? Just depends how much of a charge they give.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The powermonkey would be OK for maybe charging a phone but I don't think it's got enough power for regularly recharging AAs. The powerchimp works well with a USB charger and you can leave it in a campsite bathroom or wherever - better and cheaper than buying disposables, and preferable to leaving the GPS itself. If you're going for a short trip there's nothing to stop you say taking half a dozen charged-up rechargeables with you.