Shimano Dura-Ace Di2

Mark_K
Mark_K Posts: 666
edited February 2010 in MTB general
So i see the big S have released a Di2 shifter to fit flat bars or at least for the tops of drop bars !!! So how long before we get the full fat MTB version ?
I'm kinda holding out on a new bike for gadget shifting on a 10speed shimano group set 20011/12 maybe !!!! 8)
Thoughts ?? :twisted:

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    well in a thread last month there were pics of the new 2011 xtr groupset, with everything minus shifters and brakes so who knows what the plan is :) it also looks like everything above deore level will be 10 speed in 2011 cos with alivio now being nine speed it makes sense. now we have to wait to see what sram do :lol:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Will they be 2 x 10 or 3 x 10? there really is no need for 30 gears surely?!
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    I'll be surprised if they don't bring out a electronic shifting sooner rather than later tbh, especially as its been so well received on the road bikes !
    Surely its just a case of making sure the waterproofing and anti shock properties are up to scratch for off road use ?
  • nah, tbh, i'm thinking i might run 3*11 with campag and the campag flat bar shifters...
  • lawman
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Will they be 2 x 10 or 3 x 10? there really is no need for 30 gears surely?!

yer 30 or 20speed :D if you think about its only an extra 3 gears over 27, and only 2 over a normal 2x9 gearing, not that much differnece
  • Paul 8v
    Surely it's extra weight though? I know SRAM have the fancy machined cassette made from one block of metal but it would be even lighter with a 9 speed! Maybe I'm just old school, my bike still has 8 speed and I've never felt the need for any more.
    With the electronic side of the shifting will it end up lighter? I know the battery packs are very light, would it eliminate the need for such heavy duty springs? Be interesting to see how it compares in weight
  • lawman
    well the cogs have to be made thinner so they can fit the extra in, so the weight difference is bairly noticable. the only reason sram cassettes are so much lighter is because of the machining process they go through, and i imagine shimano are coming up with a way to beat it
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
  • Paul 8v
    OK, that bike looks the nuts! I can see the attraction with the electronic system 8)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The new Di2 satellite shifters plug into the STIs, so they're not really any more useful than the existing one, you'd still need to heavily modify them to work on flat bars.

The 2 bikes that Fairwheel bikes have done are pretty impressive. The spec sheets for M980 etc that appeared on Weight Weenies don't suggest any sort of electronic shifting this generation, I reckon they'll hone it a bit more on the road before taking it off road.

The weights are coming down anyway and the ability to go 2x10 with wider ratios than a 3x8 (and comparable to 3x9) system offsets the extra weight of the extra sprockets.

Saying that... if anything I prefer the 9 speed 28/40 with 11-34 cassette on my hardtail vs the 28/42 with 11-36 XX set up on my FS.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Surely it's extra weight though? I know SRAM have the fancy machined cassette made from one block of metal but it would be even lighter with a 9 speed!

They're going to do an X0 (not 990) that is exactly that.
  • Paul 8v
    I'd still like to see an affordable lightwieght hub gear system in the future, no mechs, straight chainline, could be electronically controlled, single chainring up front or a more highly developed one like the hammerschmidt. As discussed elsewhere on the forum. Also with only one cog on the rear it would stop the need for the wheel to be dished as much. It's a long way off yet being a race weight but could it be a possibility in the future?
  • GHill
    It's always going to be heavier than a regular hub, and as rotational weight it's in a bad place.

That said, it would be great. If money was no object I'd make myself a mug-plugging bike with one of the new 11 speed alfines.
  • GHill wrote:
    It's always going to be heavier than a regular hub, and as rotational weight it's in a bad place.

That said, it would be great. If money was no object I'd make myself a mug-plugging bike with one of the new 11 speed alfines.
    But it's the centre of the wheel. Best place for the rotational weight.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Agreed, but it's still rotational weight. The equivalent weight spread across mechs and shifters would have less of an impact on the feel of the bike. I think is the point he's trying to make.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • GHill
    bails87 wrote:
    Agreed, but it's still rotational weight. The equivalent weight spread across mechs and shifters would have less of an impact on the feel of the bike. I think is the point he's trying to make.

It is. Thanks.
  • Paul 8v
    How about a single freewheel at the back then the gear unit at the front like a hammerschmidt but with all the ratios in there? If someone's allready doing that just ignore me lol. I can't help thinking a chain in a straight line would be more efficient and harder wearing too. If all the weight is at the middle of the bike an thus more central surely that would be better?
  • Paul 8v
    i know at the moment it might not be that plausible but everything has to start somewhere, rememeber where rear mechs started:
    http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/campagnolo.html
    see Paris Roubaix
    :wink:

Come on a wee bit since then
  • GHill
    Paul 8v wrote:
    How about a single freewheel at the back then the gear unit at the front like a hammerschmidt but with all the ratios in there?

Sounds a lot like the gearbox bikes that people were playing around with a couple of years ago. The Honda DH bike being a prime example (and not actually sold).
  • Paul 8v
    Cool, I've been out of the picture in mountain biking for a few years so I wasn't sure if that sort of thing had been done, with a gearbox type system you could even employ a prop shaft arrangement rather than a chain, I'm sure I read about a propshaftbeing run in/along a rear swingarm somewhere, that would be pretty cool