Essex Anyone?

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I feel kinda left out of the SCR!

I start my commute on the East London / Essex border and head East to Dunton, anyone else go in that direction or area?

Had a great ride home last night with the tailwind, 12 minutes quicker than coming to work in the morning for my 18 mile route!!

Comments

• I'm in Essex, but the other end!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I'm sorta on the Herts/Essex border, but on the better side ;)

Head south into central - and yeah, I don't see many others along the way...
  • I'm in Essex, but the other end!

I've never thought of Essex as having another 'end' but I think I know what / where you mean! I'm relatively new here so not aware of who does what...you don't bike commute from 'the other end' of Essex into town do you? Chapeau if you do!
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Essex here too, fair weather commuter though and go from Billericay to Bradwell... will start again end of February.

Lots of cycling at the weekend either heading off towards Maldon, Bradwell, Mersea Island or large circuits around Chelmsford.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Last year I commuted regularly between Upminster and Tilbury. Don't think I ever saw another cyclist...
  • South Woodford
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I'm in Essex, but the other end!

the nice end (but don't tell anyone)
  • Aidy
    rally200 wrote:

Is it nice because LiT is there, or did LiT move there because it's nice?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Aidy wrote:
    rally200 wrote:

Perhaps both?
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Aidy wrote:
    rally200 wrote:

:lol:

The former, obviously.

I used to commute from there to Mayfair, but the vast majority of the mileage was done by train.

Oh and if you see a long-haired girl on a maxima around Maldon or Mersea, say hi, it's probably me!
  • Aidy
    Oh and if you see a long-haired girl on a maxima around Maldon or Mersea, say hi, it's probably me!

Cue the chain of admirers, cycling around and around, hoping for a glimpse!
  • Another Uppy. cyclist here
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Waltham Abbey into Tottenham here, so just about counts as Essex!

I've only ever seen 10 other cyclists on my 8 mile commute in the last 20 months!!!
    Still breathing.....
  • Aidy
    hambones wrote:

I've only ever seen 10 other cyclists on my 8 mile commute in the last 20 months!!!

Which way down do you go? It's vaguely off to the side of my commute, and I pass through Tottenham...
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Aidy wrote:
    hambones wrote:

Which way down do you go? It's vaguely off to the side of my commute, and I pass through Tottenham...

Straight down Sewardstone Road from the Abbey to Chingford then under the North Circular and across to Brantwood Road - so I never quite make it as far as the High Street.
    Still breathing.....
  • Aidy
    hambones wrote:
    Straight down Sewardstone Road from the Abbey to Chingford then under the North Circular and across to Brantwood Road - so I never quite make it as far as the High Street.

Ah, I'd been thinking of trying that. Looked like it might be a bit more pleasant than hopping down the A1055.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555

I will! If you see a shortish haired bloke on a mint green fixed raleigh with red components, it's probably me, so say hello back. I'm only there during holidays though.

Do you know any good routes around there by the way?

I usually ride from Tiptree down maldon road towards Maldon, turn left at Heybridge onto Goldhanger Road/Maldon Road, through Tolleshunt Darcy, over the reservoir, turn left just before Layer Breton, through Layer Marney and then down the big hill on Newbridge Road (or carry on to get back on Maldon Road) back into Tiptree. Works out at about 40 miles I think.

Braxted Park Road is the best hill in that part of Essex I think.
  • hambones wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    hambones wrote:

Are you not tempted by the path next to the Lea?

Woodford for me, if you had not guessed, but only cycling 2 days a week at moment.
  • Aidy

I've done it on a mountain bike, but I've been vaguely unconvinced by doing it on a road bike.
  • Aidy wrote:

I've done it on a mountain bike, but I've been vaguely unconvinced by doing it on a road bike.

The Giant Hogweed infestation by that canal path is amazing to see - real Triffids!
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Aidy wrote:

I do it on a road bike - it is a good run as on the way home normally have the prevailing wind and can get up a good speed. Try it - i do tottenham hale to edmonton and have been further east on the tow path as well.

can't beat traffic free miles in london
  • Aidy
    I do it on a road bike - it is a good run as on the way home normally have the prevailing wind and can get up a good speed. Try it - i do tottenham hale to edmonton and have been further east on the tow path as well.

can't beat traffic free miles in london

I might try a spin of it tomorrow, I had been thinking about it.
    I figure it's probably better than the state of the roads right now...