North Wales

orbeaorca
orbeaorca Posts: 246
edited February 2010 in Tour & expedition
I have a week in Bala coming up in the spring and I am planning my routes, trying to take in as many climbs as possible, there are probably loads I haven't even heard about so looking for some help from the forum members, so far I have on my list;

Bwlch-y-Groes
Horseshoe Pass
Bwlch Penbarras
'End of the World'

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jeez...so many...but maybe worth having a look at the history of the Wild Wales Challenge...the route changes every year and I reckon over the last 20 odd years it has covered every bloody hill in North Wales?:-

http://s198483320.websitehome.co.uk/wil ... istory.htm

I rode it in 2007 and it was extremely tough....theres a whopper of a climb coming up from the pub on the B4402...this backroad takes you to the B4291 which heads upto Milltir Gerrig......but I suppose the must do is Bwlch Y Groes from Dinas...I reckon along with Hardknott Pass its the toughest climb in the UK...brutal....also the Hirnant Pass from Lake Vrynwy

And theres also another much feared brute...Church Hill from Glyn Ceiriog...and the 'old' Horseshoe (the steep backroad up)....get yer climbing legs on!
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Definitely do the Hirnant Pass if you're around Lake Vyrnwy.

Also the unclassified road between Llanuwchllyn (opposite end of Bala Lake from Bala) and Trawsfynydd. Never been on it, except for a few miles at the Trawsfynydd end in the car, but it looks good on the map :D

Hmm where else...

Denbigh Moors (A543 Denbigh to Pentrefoelas)
    Pass of Llanberis (A4086)
    The Shelf (unclassified road going NW from Llandegla - but ride it the other way, it's better)