luggage problems going transatlantic

tugger
tugger Posts: 122
edited February 2010 in Tour & expedition
Having booked with American Airlines i am going with three friends to cycle from san fransisco to san diego

the only problem is that although the weight allowance is doable (23kg) the luggage dimensions are not, at 62 dimensional inches (height + width + length)
clearly in my conversation with the AA person on the phone who assured me this wasn't going to be a problem i was naive not to check, but this is now the mess im in

a levy of $100 per flight looms, has anyone got any wise ideas regarding ways around this problem...

we are doing a charity ride, so perhaps this is an angle, but to be honest im pretty stumped at the moment, im thinking DHL or something similar, but im not sure at the moment.

any thoughts would be very welcome
All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Well hopefully they won't enforce it, and someone will be able to offer you some reassurance, but $100 is probably likely to be cheaper than DHL or any other option I can think of.
  • The $100 is way cheaper than what DHL will charge. As nearly everyone else here will say. Be first in line at the checkin, be pleasant and you may be pleasantly suprised. If not the $100 is cheap freight. Uniited charge $175 from LA to Denver and Lufthansa $250 for across the Atlantic. I can't see where you live but thinking of using DHL I assume UK.

I know this is not very helpful. Once again be at the checkin early, be freindly be helpful and be happy and above all be very, very nice to the checkin person.

Cheers Brain