security\storage solutions for your bikes.

ben_chesterfield
ben_chesterfield Posts: 54
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hi all,

Just a quick one, i own a self storage business, and we have a couple of customers who have one of our small units to store they bikes, the units have 24/7access, they are steel units.

do you think its something many people on here would be interested in using?

price would be around £5 per week. we offer insurance extra.

any input would be great.

thanks Ben

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Couple of things that popped into my head:

Is there anywhere on site I could wash my bike?
    How much, approx., would insurance be? On say a £3000 bike.

Not that I'm anywhere near Chesterfield :wink:
  • a bike wash area could be sorted if it would tempt people to use our store and insurance for a £3k bike would be £1.50 per week - 50p per £1000 per week we charge.

thanks for the reply.

Ben
  • ben_chesterfield

Dude, £6.00 a MONTH for bike insurance... It's almost worth renting a unit (£26 / month) for the insurance! Lol.

You have to remember that it's a bit of a hassle if you don't live close - you then have to travel to-and-from the storage area, which could be a pain.

I think it's more likely to be a success if you're company is on an industrial estate / office area, where people would ride bikes into work in the morning - then they'd be 100% secure, and weather-protected.

Bit steep for bike parking to be used in the day-time only though...

You could have a bike-shed type thing, inside, heated, that can be seen by some of your employees (to further deter theives). I dunno. I'm just throwing ideas in the air - I haven't thought about it. Or maybe bike-stables. Like the trolly lockers you sometimes get a supermarkets...? And shower / changing facilities?

Another business opportunity though, surely...?
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    as Chaz points out, location is key and I don't see how you fix that

still, nice idea for those living in the immediate area who don't have space in their houses

the insurance I suppose only covers for theft from the storage, not when the bike is out somewhere and gets nicked from the back of a car or something?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • many thanks for all your help.

yeh the insurance only cover while in storage not when out and about extra.

i will have a think if something can be done in chesterfield, nearer the centre for people who work there and visit extra.

many thanks,

ben
  • Hitby
    Hitby Posts: 218
    I voted yes but that's expensive for the insurance. I think I only pay 1.50 a month extra on my house insurance (a month).