What do you like about/want to see in your LBS?

salsarider79
salsarider79 Posts: 828
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm working in a small bike shop in Trowbridge, near Bath (http://www.cyclearound.co.uk/) and am looking for ideas to improve the service we currently offer. There are bound to be some very good bike shops around, and I wondered what kind of things these shops do which you like, or what things you think your LBS should do. As a fairly new company, we don't have the budget of CRC or wiggle, but there must be something you could suggest.

Thank you all in advance..... :D

:roll: This is not an advert, just a mechanic/bike shop manager looking for ideas. :roll:
jedster wrote:
Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.

Comments

• Bike fitting would be a good USP to have. Otherwise girls in lycra shorts
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • What about some sort of bike hire element to the purchase of a bike where you can try out a bike for upto a day(shop opening hours) for a cost of say 5%-10% of the value of the bike?

And if you like the bike and buy it, this is then becomes free as part of the purchase.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Bike fitting would be a good USP to have. Otherwise girls in lycra shorts

+1 to that. Nothing annoys me more than spending my hard earned cash on a bike and being stuck with what the manufacturer deems correct for me. This probably can't be offered on bikes at the cheaper end of the spectrum but could be introduced on high end models in excess of a certain price. At the end of the day the correct saddle, bars and stem make a huge difference to your enjoyment on the bike and should be correctly sized.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Don't charge for tiny little odds and ends like cable ties, odd bolts and cable ends. Don't charge for inflating someone's tyre to get them home, or helping someone with an attack of numpy to fit a tube.

Said people will be infinitely more likely to buy something.
  • Rich158 wrote:
    Bike fitting would be a good USP to have. Otherwise girls in lycra shorts

+1 to that. Nothing annoys me more than spending my hard earned cash on a bike and being stuck with what the manufacturer deems correct for me. This probably can't be offered on bikes at the cheaper end of the spectrum but could be introduced on high end models in excess of a certain price. At the end of the day the correct saddle, bars and stem make a huge difference to your enjoyment on the bike and should be correctly sized.

+2

I bought my Giant Defy 1 last year because i) the LBS fitted the bike to to me (whereas the Cannondale and Bianchi LBSs didn't so I had no confidence that I would end up with the correct size CAAD( or Via Nirone), and ii) the LBS got a demo bike in and sent me out on a 17 mile test ride, which they had selected to provide a good cross-section of road surfaces. I did not, and would not expect to, pay for a test ride.

Speaking to the guy who ran the shop, he realised that he needed differentiate himself from online retailers. Anyone can pick a frame size based on your height - including an online store - but Wiggle can't fit you, swap the stem and offer you the chance to ride before you buy. He got my business on the bike (and a little more besides, while I was there...)

_
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Don't charge for tiny little odds and ends like cable ties, odd bolts and cable ends. Don't charge for inflating someone's tyre to get them home, or helping someone with an attack of numpy to fit a tube.

and therefore recommend them to friends as well.. friendly face and a good attitude will help get the masses in
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I'm working in a small bike shop in Trowbridge, near Bath (http://www.cyclearound.co.uk/) and am looking for ideas to improve the service we currently offer. There are bound to be some very good bike shops around, and I wondered what kind of things these shops do which you like, or what things you think your LBS should do. As a fairly new company, we don't have the budget of CRC or wiggle, but there must be something you could suggest.

Thank you all in advance..... :D

:roll: This is not an advert, just a mechanic/bike shop manager looking for ideas. :roll:

make it welcoming, offer tea/ coffee to regulars who pop in for a chast- often will lead to extra sales
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Main point in my view is friendly helpful staff.

Reasonable prices.
    Willingness to fix a minor fault without having to "book it in for next week" - charge for the work by all means.
    I agree with a bike fitting service.
    Decent range of test bikes.
    Price match if possible.

I also think that it would be good to have a bike maintenance course. Maybe offer a free course with every bike sale (and tell your local paper) - hopefully not everyone will take up the offer :wink:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I would just like an LBS. The last one shut down over the festive period :(

But if there was one, like some others bike fitting.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Don't charge for tiny little odds and ends like cable ties, odd bolts and cable ends. Don't charge for inflating someone's tyre to get them home, or helping someone with an attack of numpy to fit a tube.

and therefore recommend them to friends as well.. friendly face and a good attitude will help get the masses in
    Yup.
    From what I can tell, when you go into a shop staffed by bike geeks, they can't stop themselves from being helpful.
    Its not mutually exclusive of shops that are shiny and full of bike bling, or even Halfwits.