Base layer

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Where can I get base layers from that are cheap £10 or so (but more £10).

Multi-packs or multi-buys welcome.[/i]
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Save your money and buy one merino Ice breaker, it'll be better than having five cheap ones..
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited February 2010
    Aldi?

your interweb laziness is pretty impressive DDD

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Base_Layers/#2,20

£10 seems to get you pants :lol:

oh you also have goldfish memory
    UTFS
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • The Greg

"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he 'rubbed' you. And rubbin', son, is racin'!"

FCN 4
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The Aldi ones are great but only in store once a year (just after Christmas). I missed out this year and wrecked last year's in a crash.

The Uniqlo one seems alright for the money, sizing comes up big though. I'm in a size small :shock: although that is for a figure hugging fit. Weird though, the Japanese clothes I bought in Japan are size XL!

Otherwise, try the likes of Millets - think they are having a sale on base layers at the moment.
  • DonDaddyD
    The Greg wrote:

Sounds silly but can that be used as a base layer for sports.

I always thought it was just some fashionable tight clothing fad....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    I use Endura Transmission base layer L/S and S/S and they are very good. Nearer to £20 than £10 though, but IMO worth it. CRC and Wiggle stock them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The Greg wrote:

Sounds silly but can that be used as a base layer for sports.

I always thought it was just some fashionable tight clothing fad....

I bought four of the polo neck version last year- wear them for work, particularly when I'm on a rather nippy loading bay, and under jersey & jacket out on the bike at weekends. Excellent for both, coped just nicely in the recent cold snap, and you won't get too sweaty on the bike either. Agree with Mat, be careful about sizing, though you do want them close-fitting, mine fit me closely but not tight (if that makes sense).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Sports Direct have Campri ones which are close fitting and pretty much indistinguishable IMO from 'cycle specific' baselayers - about £8 - £12.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    pop into your local sports direct, they often have a bargin shelf with base layers.

Also seen them in TK max.

They are not as good as a proper cycling one, but good enough for the wreck it and bin it use of commuting.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Yeah, I seem to remember seeing a load of cheapish ones in the Sports Direct by Chancery Lane. Worth popping in and having a look.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Mountain warehouse have a sale on at the moment, I saw it in scotland this weekend andin Derby today so I imagine it is national. Their long sleeved £25-£30 base layers are between £9 and £11 depending on colour.

Not sure how long it will last though...
  • I'm sure Newcastle United stuff will be a bargain at Sports Direct.

Their away kit is high vis.
  • TK Maxx ski base layers
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • DonDaddyD
    I should feed back.

Tried the Uniqlo base layer this morning. Warm but not too warm, kept me very dry and neither I nor the top stunk.

Very impressed going to buy a bag by this weekend.
    Food Chain number = 4

• TK Maxx ski base layers

+1 for these at around £8 a go but finding them in the shops is hard at this time of year
  • Might give those uniqlo thermals a go. Did you get the roll-neck long sleeve ones?
  • DonDaddyD
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Might give those uniqlo thermals a go. Did you get the roll-neck long sleeve ones?

Nah normal neck long sleeve.

Are very nice material.
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I fingered some bamboo undergarments the other day - they felt lovely. Do they work well?

I love my Canterbury base layers. £19 at Chain Reaction and they're warm, wick like a dream and fit well.
  • DDD - agree with you re the Uniqlo. Given their non-woolen properties I thought they'd end up stinking to high heaven, but no problems so far. They're also very smooth/soft material so no itchiness.

I've got myself a number of versions - long and short sleeve. All good stuff (and cheap).
    The Greg

"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he 'rubbed' you. And rubbin', son, is racin'!"

FCN 4
  • biondino
    I found one! Sort of.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=c1434

£10.57 and they have it in XL which will prob fit you, DDD?
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    I found one! Sort of.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=c1434

£10.57 and they have it in XL which will prob fit you, DDD?

Nah, the Uniqlo ones are like £8 and medium in those fit me just fine. Stupidly cheap and they make me feel better about myself! :wink:

But thanks I may get it during my next online splurge...
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    The Uniqlo ones are much lighter though, aren't they? I prefer something a bit heftier for winter, but cool if they work for you!
  • The Uniqlo ones looks a bit loose & baggy - no?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • With the Uniqlo base layers I just wear a size smaller than I would normally choose and they fit just fine - not baggy at all. As I say, I would recommend you get a size smaller than what you'd choose for other brands.
    The Greg

FCN 4
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    biondino wrote:
    The Uniqlo ones are much lighter though, aren't they? I prefer something a bit heftier for winter, but cool if they work for you!

As thin and light as they are, they're also incredibly effective. Put one on and you feel the warmth almost immediately. For riding, that and my jersey are all I need under the jacket...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011