Praise to the fat man

Enwezor
Enwezor Posts: 124
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I'd just like to shout out a bit of respect to the fat man.

It's hard enough lugging you and your bike up hill after hill if you are of a lighter frame but think for a moment about the fat man.
The fat man not only has his bike - he has quite a few extra kilos to carry up those hills - again and again and again.
KILOS - forget XTR components saving 43grammes - we're talking KILOS of extra weight!

This is true of the bigger man too. If you're a big lad, you've got a ton of weight to get up them hills. You need to somehow maintain a really good power to weight ratio which gets more and more difficult as you get heavier. It's no surprise that you don't get heavy Tour de France cyclists.

So, when you see a fat man or a big man toiling up a hill, don't think 'Fat b*****!' - think, 'Praise to the fat man - it's much harder for him than it is for me'

:P

Comments

• Enwezor wrote:
    So, when you see a fat man or a big man toiling up a hill, don't think 'Fat b*****!' - think, 'Praise to the fat man - it's much harder for him than it is for me'

Except he IS me. :wink:
  • :lol:....... and me
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • No, I'm that fat b4stard and so is my wife.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    No, I'm that fat b4stard and so is my wife.

:lol: Bet she loves you!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    17st since I spent the last 6 months sat on my arse...

15st by year end - fingers crossed

And yeah, I don't exaclty get too hung up on the lastest whizbang bit of kit being 2.3g lighter than last years.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No, I'm that fat b4stard and so is my wife.

i need to remember this post for the forum awards in december.

top class.
  • Ah - but you have forgot that it is easier to spend thousands on lighter kit for your bike than it is to eat less and ride more! :wink:

That's why fat b***ards like me have shiny tricked out bikes and are complete weight weenies weighing every nut and bolt. :oops:

"Nice bike shame about the belly" should be the cry as our skinny rivals dissappear up any gradient other than down. :lol:
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Awww...Thanks Enwezor :D
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    P-Jay wrote:
    17st since I spent the last 6 months sat on my ars*...

15st by year end - fingers crossed

And yeah, I don't exaclty get too hung up on the lastest whizbang bit of kit being 2.3g lighter than last years.

Never a truer word mate. You're carrying 2 extra DH bikes on your bike (compared to me)!!!

Makes me laugh all the weight weenies saying they shaved 150 grams off their bike with the latest piece of kit.... The flapjack in their pack weighs more :wink:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • I'm down from 18st 7lb, to 16st 5lb, so I've shaved 30lb off my all in riding weight, without spending a penny 8) .

Don't forget, us fatties are wider too, so encounter greater wind resistance as well :P .
  • dont get me started on the wind resistance, its like riding about with a sail on the bike lol
    as above though i started out at just over 20 stone, and am now 18ish stone though cycling and having a more active job
    i dont see the fascination of saving 10 grams off the bikes weight either, but each to their own
  • im a big dude also weighing in at just over 15st :)

I'm sorry, but that's crap, well, unless you are 5'2" tall. I'm 16 stone and had already decided not to post here 'cos I am feeling relatively slim these days... down from 17 stone 9.
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    wind resistance counts the other way when you're going with the wind
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    hey you big guys want to be careful, being a lightweight is not all it's cracked up to be!
    a few years ago i went from just over 18 stone down to 13 stone 8lbs in just over 4 months, and i hated it, i felt weak compared to when i was bigger, not as confident and i just never felt right, i'm back up to 17 stone now and feel much better..oh and i'm quicker on the downhill sections than my lightweight brother!! he says it's cos i weigh more..
  • hyperman wrote:
    hey you big guys want to be careful, being a lightweight is not all it's cracked up to be!
    a few years ago i went from just over 18 stone down to 13 stone 8lbs in just over 4 months, and i hated it, i felt weak compared to when i was bigger, not as confident and i just never felt right, i'm back up to 17 stone now and feel much better..oh and i'm quicker on the downhill sections than my lightweight brother!! he says it's cos i weigh more..
    Errr.... Massive weight loss and gain in such a short period of time is REALLY bad for you.

I'm not surprised you felt weak.

I lost my fat over about 3 years. Still got a bit, but I'm down to about 9% body fat (according to the calipers). I'm definitely stronger and more confident than ever.

If you want to lose weight, do it slowly - especially 4 stone in 4 months... WAYYYYY too fast. Try 2-3 stone per YEAR.

It sounds too slow, but if you do it slowly, it'll be a lifestyle choice, not a fad. You'll lose the weight, and NOT put it back on. AND you'll be strong / stronger (if you incorporate resistance training at the gym into your programme) that you were when you weighed more. Your joints will be under a hell of alot less stress, you'll eat less, drink less, and (IMO!!!) probably look better too.

Anyway, I guess it's ulitimately up to you, and how much motivation and desire you have to lose weight, but you have to do it slowly - because honestly, it'll pile straight back on otherwise.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    +1
  • dwill
    dwill Posts: 150
    lost 1.5 stone last year and intending to do the same this year (was 18 stone down to 16.5) no diet weights 4 times a week and out on the bike as much as poss. sold my cube and built a yeti 575 so ive put a few pound back on :shock:
  • Losing weight is as much about the fitness side as the diet side.

You don't need to ''go on a diet'' as such, but probably adjust your current diet so it suits weight loss a bit better. Nowt to drastic - stuff like (home cooked) stir fry's with lots of vegetables, chicken salad, porridge for breakfast, boiled or poached eggs (rather than fried) is all good.

Just need to learn what you need :D
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    Enwezor wrote:

My guess is that you're that fat bastard :lol:

Spare a thought for us then, the fat old bastards!
  • Enwezor
    Enwezor Posts: 124
    Sloper wrote:
    Enwezor wrote:

My guess is that you're that fat bastard :lol:

Spare a thought for us then, the fat old bastards!

It's all about the sweaty, lung-busting effort on those climbs, getting to the top with your legs burning, steamed up glasses and a quick check that you're not about to have a coronary. :)
    That's just me and I'm 10st10 and ride a sub-11kg carbon fibre Scott Spark 20.

The FB on the other hand has to do all this with the equivalent of a 100lb sheep on their back. It will also take longer and they will probably be able to chisel enough salt off their faces (once it's dried) to cook the classic Portuguese dish - salt-baked cod.

So, partly out of guilt and partly out of respect for these unsung heroes, I say Praise to the Fat Man!
    :wink:
  • Lol i still like the way people think that 50g on ya pack is the same as your bike. its now.

but on the other point it still does take alot of effort lug a fat bum up! i always praise the sweaty fat man!
  • Ben GT
    Ben GT Posts: 25
    Where was this thread when i started the Gary Fisher for a fat man??! :roll:

If i knew weight didnt matter i would of bought that £75.00 apollo bike from toys r us! :lol:
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    hyperman wrote:
    Errr.... Massive weight loss and gain in such a short period of time is REALLY bad for you.

I'm not surprised you felt weak.

I lost my fat over about 3 years. Still got a bit, but I'm down to about 9% body fat (according to the calipers). I'm definitely stronger and more confident than ever.

If you want to lose weight, do it slowly - especially 4 stone in 4 months... WAYYYYY too fast. Try 2-3 stone per YEAR.

It sounds too slow, but if you do it slowly, it'll be a lifestyle choice, not a fad. You'll lose the weight, and NOT put it back on. AND you'll be strong / stronger (if you incorporate resistance training at the gym into your programme) that you were when you weighed more. Your joints will be under a hell of alot less stress, you'll eat less, drink less, and (IMO!!!) probably look better too.

Anyway, I guess it's ulitimately up to you, and how much motivation and desire you have to lose weight, but you have to do it slowly - because honestly, it'll pile straight back on otherwise.

i'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong in my case, simply because you don't know me. everybody reacts differently to dieting etc..yes i lost the weight quickly and it had no affect on my health whatsoever, my doctor can back me up on this as i had a health check before and not long after the weight loss, the simple fact is that i can lose weight very quickly if i need to through dieting and exercise and can put it back on with weight training in the gym just as quick, i guess i'm just lucky in that way. and besides the first stone you lose should come off very quickly as you lose a lot of water when you first start dieting.i'm sorry but losing 2-3 stone in a year is crap, i kept my weight off for a year and quite simply just didn't like it, i felt more confident and stronger with more weight on me, that's fact, but each to their own....
  • I know some people can lose weight quickly. But as you just said, the first portion of weight to come off can do, as it's mostly water. In which case, you will be de-hydrated.

Bang on about water-retention, but if you lose it too quickly, your body will still think it needs to replace it, and so 'steal' water from other parts, to try and retain it. A way of avoiding this is (ironically) is to drink lots of water, and take it slowly.

Also, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it's IMPOSSIBLE, not just difficult, or extremely rare, but actually IMPOSSIBLE to put on 2-3 STONE in a very short period of time at the gym. That weight will be mostly water and fat. Not much muscle.

Infact, according to world-class bodybuilders - the guys who make it their PROFESSION to gain lean muscle mass in the gym - the MOST they can gain, in ONE YEAR is 20-30lbs AT MOST. And these guys condition themselves, eat the perfect diet, and have the perfect training programme to gain muscle mass. So if you can put on a few stone in a quarter of the time, it's a combination of fat, glycogen and water.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I am also that Fat Man, which is why I'm arranging this.....

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12676633
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.