Daylight Come...

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,375
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
...and me wanna ride home.

Getting brighter folks. Still darkish at 7.30 when I get in but now using the lights to be seen rather than to see.

Less than 50 days still the clocks change.

Roll on the summer.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Yeah, yeah. It's still 50 days though :(

Don't mind me, I'm a SAD person so my mood will improve, overall, come June :roll:
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    Yeah, yeah. It's still 50 days though :(

Don't mind me, I'm a SAD person so my mood will improve, overall, come June :roll:

I'm in the SAD club too, but I have to say the change of job to being a postie (giving me much more regular outdoor time) has really helped me this winter. Roll on spring and the Cenreparcs holiday next month! :)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    SAD sufferes - do you find your symptoms are demonstrably worse when you have to force yourself awake before sunrise?

Even with a good 8 hours, if I'm up before sunrise I am really very down and feel quite hollow.

A 6 hour sleep waking up post-sunrise leaves me much more normal in my head.

Any of you suffer the same?

The doctor says I might be a sufferer - but since this is the first winter where the symptoms are extreme enough to be concerned, he can't say definitely - might be some coincidental depression.

I think it might be to do with the fact that my only time outdoors in the winter is during the commute...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Cafewanda
    Teagar, not sure about any other 'members' but waking up when it's still dark outside is like I'm in a dark tunnel, even with my SAD bedside light so I stay in bed til the last possible minute, and am almost guaranteed to be late for work. I operate best in daylight hours + warmth. Fortunately my bosses/colleagues have had years to get used to my mood swings but I might actively consider anti-depressants for next winter.

SAD hits me round about end September through to March/April. The cold doesn't help either so this winter has been particularly hard but cycling and forcing myself to do cross-country (running) has been useful, although I'm not sure I'll do cross-country next winter :? . I also have poor circulation in my fingers so sorting out what combinations of gloves to wear has been lots of fun, as well as expensive :roll:

Oh, I have white light, high voltage lightbulbs in my bedroom and the living room. Will eventually change the other lights bulb to white light too. Shades needed when visiting me during the winter 8)

I need to move to Africa/Caribbean anywhere hot between October and March, but I can't get that prescribed on the NHS. I tried :D
  • teagar
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Teagar, not sure about any other 'members' but waking up when it's still dark outside is like I'm in a dark tunnel, even with my SAD bedside light so I stay in bed til the last possible minute, and am almost guaranteed to be late for work.

That's what I've found this winter - exactly the same.

I've always made a thing of NEVER being late, but it's just not true anymore!

It's got to the point where getting out of bed is a serious hurdle in my day. Considering getting one of those dawn simulators, but i've heard mixed things about them.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,050
    edited February 2010
    Until this winter, I found waking on the dark winter mornings a nightmare, trying to surface around 0730. I often battle with tiredness, but do not dare take naps unless I'm completely zombified... and then only 2 hours max! Waking up naturally by my eyes being aware of light outside is much nicer than the alarm beeping when I'm in deep sleep.

We have had a dawn/dusk simulator alarm clock for a few years now, but since Novemeber I am regularly waking during the sunrise phase and before the alarm goes off at no later than 0630 (0600 on Saturdays)! This means I can get to Royal Mail between 0730 and 0830, get paid some overtime, whereas I struggled to be in for 0900 at my last job. :)

It probably helps that I now go to bed around 2100 (and surface at 0630, even on days off), but I also think the greater natural sunlight exposure is making my eyes more sensitive to the sunrise phase of the clock, not to mention keeping my body clock synced so much better than normal.

I use a Pharos Max lightbox (360W, 10000 lux @ 80cm, powerful model) for about an hour before work, sometimes for a while when I get home from work (like now). 20mg of cytalopram daily has probably helped too, without making me feel "robotic/unemotional" like last time I took meds some years ago.

There is a forum at the Lumie site where sufferers converge and try to help each other...
    http://www.lumie.com/forum/
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Cafewanda
    I've been using them for years and I have found them effective to a point. It's when I need to get out of bed they are ineffective :) My preference would be for one to light up my whole bedroom rather than the small area it currently covers. Thinking about it, I may be a more extreme SAD sufferer though :roll:

There is a company that will let you "try before you buy", or they used to. Let me see if I can find them and I'll post back.

Found'em!

http://www.lumie.com/

I have the Bodyclock Advance. I had a look at the Pharos too, but funds wouldn't/still won't permit.
  • teagar
    Cheers guys.

One thing I have found - through my own experiments- dragging your body onto the turbo in the early evening and smashing out an hour of pain on it have made me sleep much better - I'm not waking up in the middle of the night.

Most likely a combinaion of a seretonin boost plus physical tiredness.
  • Cafewanda
    :) Sleeping is not something I have a problem with this time of year, believe me. Being energetic helps reduce the desire somewhat. Handy when you are meant to be working :D
  • I think everyone suffers from SAD to some extent - unless you are lucky enough to be a ski instructor.

I don't think that we are meant to grind along all year round with the same routine. Post industrial revolution, this has been forced upon us, but we used to work far more to the seasons.
  • teagar
    Cafewanda wrote:
    :) Sleeping is not something I have a problem with this time of year, believe me. Being energetic helps reduce the desire somewhat. Handy when you are meant to be working :D

Haha.

Part of my symtoms is permenant tiredness and general fatigue, and then sleeping badly.

It coincided with a halt in my cycling as I adjusted to the work I was doing. Now that I'm back on the bike it's a little more even. Not much though.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Seeing the light in the morning when the skies are clear, getting the glimmering by 7.30 and before. At night, still pretty dark by 5.30 and hometime, but looking out right now, 16.55 and it is still lightish - would need lights on, but it is not pitch.

On a related note, did my first dark MTB run last night, using the Deal extreme torch, and was quite impressed. Think I will get a few in before it gets too light!! Might actually jump to the other side of the fence, start enjoying my night riding and not want the lighter evenings!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    On the early shift this week so gotta leave at 6:30 if i want to get some miles in before work... roll on summer (not the heat, i'm not a big fan of heat, but the long days and no snow/ice)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Have suffered less this year compared to last. Think it's because I was off the commute for a couple of weeks in January. Not that I "suffer" as such, but the dark mornings do wear me down a little.

During yesterday evening's commute, I was imagining myself cycling home in balmy conditions...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    It was lovely and light this morning, to the extend that I could turn off my front light by 7:30'ish. It made me start to wonder whether I'd overslept by an hour or so :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • thank god for this post - i now know i'm not the only one with this problem. for the last few years i've found it harder and harder to get up when it's dark in winter. i felt crap if i got woke up while it was still dark, regardless of what time i got to bed.

have been getting really annoyed with myself because i thought it was some kind of "laziness" (for want of a better word) that i just didn't have the will power to overcome.
    "scalare come se al grembo degli dei" (apologies to any Italain speakers if the grammar/spelling is off)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I think everyone suffers from SAD to some extent - unless you are lucky enough to be a ski instructor.

I don't think that we are meant to grind along all year round with the same routine. Post industrial revolution, this has been forced upon us, but we used to work far more to the seasons.

I think this is actually why Northern European cultures often have a lot of drinking.

Bits of the Norse Sagas seem like a pretty rowdy Friday night.