Bike for v overweight man ( 20 + stone )

Kev75
Kev75 Posts: 5
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all

My first post here so go easy with me...

Im now in my 30's and have not had a bike for many years and would like to try a little riding for some much needed exercise !!, but after trying to search for a suitable bike online for my weight i cant seen to find any, can anyone help ?

Thank you
Kevin

Comments

• xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    hi kevin,

welcome to the forum.

I like you am the bigger chap and might add MTB'ing is the way to go to lose some weight. I own a trek 3900 and to be honest it is perfect for what i need it to do, especially till i get more weight off and learn more tricks (i.e not wiping myself out)

I am sure you will get sound advice from the residents here. I'd throw Trek into the equation.

All the best with your search :)
  • Hi kev welcome to the forum 8)

I too am a big chap (21st) :shock: ive had 3 bikes in the last 8mnths the latest being a giant boulder and tbh they have all been perfectly fine with my weight the only bit of advice i would give (weight related) is maybe bigger volume tyres eg 2.1 - 2.3/4 makes for a comfier stable ride and stops pinch flats (or did for me)

great forum lots of good advise so enjoy....... :wink:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What kind of budget are you looking at? The GT Aggressors and Carrera Fury from Halfords would be good . Built for slightly harder riding, so if you're carrying a little extra weight then they'll be fine for riding on the smoother stuff. I can't give any personal experience though as I'm a skinny bugger!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    The Kona Hoss is the traditional Clydesdale bike, but I'm not sure if they're still making them and if you want to spend that much.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Most bikes will do you fine, larger volume tyres and wider bars make it more comfy. Padded shorts are a must just wear them under something else if you don't like the thought of being seen in lycra.
    I've had my GT Avalanche for just over two years and the frame has been great despite 23 stone of abuse at my heaviest. The bottom bracket has warn out and been replaced along with chains and sprockets as these take a bit more abuse than with lighter riders but this would be the same regardless of bike.
  • Kev75
    Thank you all for your advice so far, as for budget well i did look at most of the suggestions you guys have made above and sorry but for me they are to expensive at the moment, as im not even sure i will have the will power to keep it up. I just wanted to try be sure the bike would be suitable for me.

Maybe a cheaper bike or even second hand and then look for larger tyres as i didnt know you could get larger tyres.

Thank you
    Kevin
  • Kev75 wrote:
    Maybe a cheaper bike or even second hand and then look for larger tyres as i didnt know you could get larger tyres.

if u have a stricter budget i would advise against a "cheaper" new bike as it wont last long u would be better off looking for 2nd hand (u will get much more for your ££) ebay is a good place to look ive seen alot of good mtb's go for £150ish ie. carrera fury (good begginer bike) hope this helps a bit....

as for tyres there are loads of size's, being a big lad myself i'd suggest u go for 2.1 / 2.2 or 2.3 width.

mike
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Carrera Vulcan V-Spec, currently only £208 from Halfords with their 20% off offer.

Will be more than up to the job and is a good bike, the frame worth building on if you take it up long term. Comes with double wall rims and 2.1 tyres so should suit you nicely.

Don't think you'll do better than that brand new. Avoid the cheaper supermarket and Apollo branded stuff, you've probably read all about them by now but they aren't worth paying for despite the budget price. Main issue is that they all weigh a ton. Nothing will put you off riding quicker than a lifeless heavy bike!
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • The only thing i'd add, is head to your local bike shop and ask them to slacken off then re-tension the spokes, possibly whilst fitting larger tyres for you. The strength of a wheel lies in the build, and bikes tend to come with machine built wheels which are not as good as a set of handbuilts. A small bit of cash at the start will save you having to replace the wheels before they reach then end of their life.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Hi,

please don't give up. Cycling is one of the best ways for a big guy to get very fit.
    It is a low/zero impact exercise sport so you will not stress your joints like walking/jogging.

It will be hard at first, when I first started biking properly a few years back my wife could not get her arms around me. she can now get both arms far enough to touch her elbows.

I have also gone from OK fitness to being the fittest out of all of my friends.

Stick with it, your heart will thank you.

p.s. Also don't expect it to be easy at first, it will take a month or so to build up the basic muscle structure.

p.p.s. If you are not certain you will stick with it, a cheap bike to get you going to be replaced once you realise this is for you. remeber that better bikes are faster, easier to ride and MOST importantly comfortable!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Kev75
    Carrera Vulcan V-Spec, currently only £208 from Halfords with their 20% off offer.

Will be more than up to the job and is a good bike, the frame worth building on if you take it up long term. Comes with double wall rims and 2.1 tyres so should suit you nicely.

Don't think you'll do better than that brand new. Avoid the cheaper supermarket and Apollo branded stuff, you've probably read all about them by now but they aren't worth paying for despite the budget price. Main issue is that they all weigh a ton. Nothing will put you off riding quicker than a lifeless heavy bike!

Thank youfor you advice, so im looking on the halfords site for the carrera vulcan bike you mentioned and so far have found 3 at £259.99 ( thats £208.00 after the 20 % discount ) and im assuming the only difference is the frame size ?

Thank you
    Kevin
  • Carrera Vulcan V-Spec, currently only £208 from Halfords with their 20% off offer.

i'm currently 18 stone, and i have a carrera vulcan. i've upgraded the brakes to be hydraulic, just to help me stop better. apart from that i'v enot done anything really to it, and it's seen me up and down gisburn, plevnty of messy towpath, roads, forests, all sorts. it's an easy 'in' to biking, people at the local bike shop didn't laugh when they fitted my hydraulic brakes etc.

i'd recommend it, it feels sturdy enough, and the front shocks, although suntour and not the best, are still sturdy enough, and adjustable enough, for my weight to not be an issue on them.

it's a brilliant way to get fitter, i can't walk any distance because of a problem with my leg, but i can cycle, and it's helped me a lot, in losing some weight, but also feeling more active, which sets your mind differently. can't advise it enough to be honest.
  • I'm 18st and i have the GT Aggressors XC1 had it about 6 month now and its been great i would recommend getting one
  • I am vv overweight to your v overweight and started out on a vulcan. was a nice bike and I done many a happy mile on it
    they now do a Vulcan V spec or a Vulcan Disc spec.
    only changed mine as the cycle 2 work sceam started up

what ever you get enjoy it and get out there!!
  • MrCJ
    MrCJ Posts: 6
    Hi there I am also on the overwiehgt size I am looking at the Carrera Kraken is this a good bike for someone my size over 20st.
  • Im 18.5 stone and ride a Hardrock Pro off-road and a Kona Dew on-road.

Both are no worries - although I ride the Kona very carefully.
  • Kev75
    Hi all

I at last got a chance to pop to my local Halfords to check out the Carrera Vulcan V-Spec and was advised that the frame size was too small ( it only goes upto 20" ( well at Halfords anyway )) but the Carrera Vulcan Disc ( the next model up i think ? ) would be better at frame size 22". What are your views on this bike for me and also a friend from work has a Giant Terrago Disc only used a few times for £215 ( Got to check with him the frame size )

Thank you again for all your information and help
    Kevin