OT: What Sky/Virgin TV package do you have?

2»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,374
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It does look good. Really good. He also praised Sky+ as a blessing. Not happy about the £58.

Another way to look at this is that £58 a month is £700 per year. That would buy a lot of box sets of the things you really want to watch without paying for 'Celebrity Make my Fat Pet Look 10 Years Younger'

Personally I'd be tempted if Sky would split their Sports channels as seperate offer at say £15 per month. It's the first £20 odd for the rubbish that puts me off.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I went round to my parents yesterday.

Sat infront of my Father's new Phillips TV 48 or 50inch screen. He has Sky+HD and pays something like £58per month for it. Watched a bit of the Tour of Quatar as well.

It does look good. Really good. He also praised Sky+ as a blessing. Not happy about the £58.

I've tried viewing things online but my PC is about 7yrs old and every attempt at rebuilding it is met with ever increasing costs as I want to play Star Trek Online and the new Star Wars game coming out.... I'm just keen on telly on my PC.

Gonna have a read of Skys small print.

Get yourself one of these http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=30 the basic one is brilliant and only costs about £60 (Plus about £50 for external hard disk). Has HDMI output so you can watch HD shows on TV. With the remaining £590 you will save you can buy yourself a decent games computer.
    26km each way commute on a Decathlon Comp 1 2006 Road Bike

2009 Communting Totals - Car 112 miles Bike 2,765 miles
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Wheezy, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I'm not a fan of 'bolt ons' on either my phone, TV packages or any other kind. They offer you something you don't really want but don't mind having for free. Offer you something you actually want for a discount and then add everything else for a nominal fee.

I don't mind the 'Entertainment' Channels (Sky, Sci-Fi) but then I'd have to pay £9 for either Sky Sports 1 or 2 (£18 for both, which I actually want and would have to get) increasing that £28 bundle to £46.

If I get that I may as well pay for the complete Sky package (all the channels) for £48.50 as this will include the movies. But then suddenly I'm getting the most expensive package Sky offers, when originally I wanted the cheapest.

That's how they get you.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I did away with the TV a few years ago now. I'm addicted, can't be in a room without the TV being on, even if all thats on it is in French, or tennis.
    I still watch too much TV. Box sets borrowed and bought are often a better way to watch a series anyway, no waiting for next week. IPlayer is a blessing and a curse, but since you don't just "put it on and flick" it just about works. I do feel a tad guilty watching it when I don't have a TV license, but the law and the terms and condistions say I don't need one.

Sport works. The 6 nations are on iPlayer now, and watching a Sporza or RAI recording of the best bits of a race on Youtube works for me. Kelly is great, but cycling is even better in incomprehensible Flemish or Italian. It's wierd how much you can pick up once you know the names....

I still watch far too much TV.
  • We have most of the sky packages which include music, kids, documentaries and also sports plus eurosports - The kids use the kids stuff obviously, I like watching history and discovery type stuff, we have the sports for RL and footie as both me and the missus are into those. I also like my winter sports so Eurosports is great for that. And then there's the cycling which I love and the missus loves watching it too but doesn't cycle at all. She watched the TDF last year for the 1st time and loved it :?

We just got HD this weekend and the picture quality is just stunning we keep swapping between channels to look at the difference, as it really is amazingly better. We have a bog standard lower spec HD telly to it'd be better still if we had a newer telly!

Then there's sky + without doubt the best thing to happen to modern tv viewing since the telly was invented. I work shifts and can have quite a few days off with no one else in the house. So I can now watch stuff I would've missed before this includes cycle races etc... IMHO if you can afford it then it's a must.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Fungus, there's no way you have time for telly any more :wink::lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Sky basic package here .

Used to have the family pack + movies but cut right back.

Only really have it for the free broadband and phone package.

We cannot get Virgin round here and max ADSL speed is 4 MB ( In fact could not get broadband till they extended the range a few years back )
    FCN 3/5/9
  • cjw wrote:
    Fungus, there's no way you have time for telly any more :wink::lol:

I know i Have to be on the computer now for most of the time chatting on forums :lol::wink:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Never had a satellite TV. We have freeview for the main TV and the standard 5 channels in our bedroom and an old Hauppauge Wintv card in the PC.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Sky+. If you're missing telly, don't underestimate the wonder of recording. You can even text it, so if you see something you want to watch advertised on a billboard, you can text your sky+ and get it recorded.

I understand freeview boxes that record are also available, but have never had one. I definitely think freeview is better than freesat, but ymmv.

This^, plus I'll also use the MySky feature and set up home recordings from the work PC or ipod.
  • I got rid of the idiot box two years ago and don't miss it one bit.* The best part is that I don't have to watch adverts any more, or have to sit through dreck like BB/IACGMOOH/etc etc. iPlayer more than satisfies my desires for good programming and Sofa Cinema takes care of the arthouse flicks. ITV, normally the Lidl of channels, does an okay job of TDF coverage on ITV3.

Means more time on the bike, too.

*Doesn't mean that any time I'm round someone's house who has a telly I'm not sucked into the cathode vortex, "Yussss.. 'Britain's Fattest Kittens'..."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    sampras38 wrote:
    Sky+. If you're missing telly, don't underestimate the wonder of recording. You can even text it, so if you see something you want to watch advertised on a billboard, you can text your sky+ and get it recorded.

I understand freeview boxes that record are also available, but have never had one. I definitely think freeview is better than freesat, but ymmv.

This^, plus I'll also use the MySky feature and set up home recordings from the work PC or ipod.

you do need it plugged into the phone though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • sampras38
    Clever Pun wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

Need what plugged in, the Sky box?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    sampras38 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

yes, sorry if that wasn't clear. after a year you're no longer obliged to have it connected (which is lucky as my only phone socket is miles away from it)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • sampras38
    Clever Pun wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

yes, sorry if that wasn't clear. after a year you're no longer obliged to have it connected (which is lucky as my only phone socket is miles away from it)

Ahh, ok. Mine always is so no worries there.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Freeview + - bu**ered if I'm going to put money in Murdoch's pocket
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    i_am_lono wrote:
    I got rid of the idiot box two years ago and don't miss it one bit.*

*Doesn't mean that any time I'm round someone's house who has a telly I'm not sucked into the cathode vortex, "Yussss.. 'Britain's Fattest Kittens'..."
    Ditto and ditto :).

It has been three years for me. I do have the occasional pang, usually after visiting and spending a night watching car crash TV.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,374
    Three words for the most awesome TV programme I have seen in years

Ice Road Truckers

The very definition of MTFU

I realise HGV drivers may not be a popular breed round these parts, but I can't imagine there are many cycle commuters in the Yukon
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Three words for the most awesome TV programme I have seen in years

Ice Road Truckers

The very definition of MTFU

I realise HGV drivers may not be a popular breed round these parts, but I can't imagine there are many cycle commuters in the Yukon

Gave up after the the first couple of the second series, the polar bear is a tit.

I used to have the full sky with sky+ but I've just dumped sky sports and movies. I'd get freesat but couldn't live without eurosport and motors tv and the boss needs living.

Also tru blood start in a couple of weeks, need that!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    This is a subject of violence and much anger in our house;

Virgin TV package was rubbish and expensive - awful customer service and they kept on cutting off channels.

Got a deal with sky for free Sky + HD installation and half price on a fullcompliment of channels for first year - £30 a month for all HD and Movie + Sports + everything else channels.

However, as they failed to install it on 3 seperate occasions and left us without TV for 2 months - we now have 2 years with everything at half price.

Still nothing to watch though, kids enjoy it when they are over.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    CiB wrote:
    Freeview. All the tv you need, which is none. :)

Sky and Virgin are the scum of the earth, the owners are union hating right wing megalomaniacs.

The customer service from both these 'companies' is woeful ,the only redeeming thing about Sky is that they are promoting cycling to some degree, but money as always is the driving factor.

GET FREESAT, lets see Sky and Virgin fall.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I forgot to say, I can't even get virgin where I live it's such a redneck backwater and freeview reception is crap so sky was the only option until freesat came out
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    Also tru blood start in a couple of weeks, need that!

*fetches shotgun*

I'm trying to save up enough to build a MythTV system, which with a cycling habit and a student budget is hard! When a Freeview HD tuner is released it'll be perfect and I can just rent or download anything else I might want.

Might be an idea if you're tech-minded or have a magnanimous friend who is.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Sky HD with sport and movies, plus a Sky+ box in the dining room for the missus to watch her reality stuff.

I'm killing the sport and movies at the end of the month until I get a new job. Can;t afford them any more.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I just Downloaded Sky Mobile TV (£6per month - comes with ESPN) and Eurosport Player (£2.99 per month) apps for my iphone.

I'm not paying for them yet, am going to wait until there is a Football match or cycling race on that I want to watch.

Sure its not TV (on a large TV screen) but it's live streaming and all I really wanted is to watch football and cycling. At £8.99 (for both) compared to (£48.99) for channels I didn't want the small iPhone screen I can live with.

Yes Trublood is a must but it'll be on Channel 4 at some point.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game