Giant xtc 29er is on the cards!

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Been looking into getting my hands on a 29er HT for a while now and have decided on the Giant xtc 1 29er.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_xtc_1_29er.html

Off to pedal on Thursday evening to have a look, and knowing me having the breaking strain of a kit kat will probably walk away with it!

Anyone got one or ridden one?
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• How much :shock:
  • scale20
    you seen it cheaper somewhere?

its gone over my budget a little but im looking a a quality fork compared to others Ive looked at.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Nuh, just saying that its pretty pricey! you could get a better spec FS for that price, or a properly sorted 26" hardtail!
  • scale20
    It's in addition to the HT and FS I already have!

The 29er is replacing my 26in HT
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Nice ride, but I'd prob go (and did) custom build. Lots of good frames about and if you are careful you can get the rest easily enough...
    Got my forks (Manitou Minute 29er 100mm with 20mm axle) for under £200, frame is by Singular and the rest is hope/ Alfine
    Or, go for the XTC 2, which is cheaper.... Or see if the shop will do any deals, my LBS is a Giant dealer, and they were really good when I bought my Reign. 8)
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • ratty2k

4298341496_b3a5799e4c.jpg

How long is that fork man!!!!

You going for the chopper look...? :lol:

Oh, and sorry if I've de-railed the thread... :oops:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • ratty2k wrote:
    Nice ride, but I'd prob go (and did) custom build. Lots of good frames about and if you are careful you can get the rest easily enough...

+1

There's a huge range to look at, On One ScandAl would be comparable, and I think you'd get a better component build. You could even get into Salsa frames, or even the beautiful Niner E.M.D. in rootbeer, that is a beautiful bike!

I liked the Giant at first, then when I really started to look around, there just seemed to be so much more on offer. Have fun looking!
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • scale20
    I have been looking at various other makes and builds however I'm a little reluctant to buy a frame that I've not had the chance to look at, try on for size and have a spin.

I did this with my current Gary fisher HT, bought it and then slowly came to realise that i couldn't get on with the geometery.

I had my eye set on the Scandal with rigid forks but again without trying the frame on for size I'm not going to buy.

I might look at the geometery and sizing on the Giant when I try it this week and then compare it to the Scandal frame
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    Beware pedalon. They have special magnets for removing all your money from your wallet.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • scale20
    Dr S wrote:
    Beware pedalon. They have special magnets for removing all your money from your wallet.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

:lol::lol:

I am quite impressed with pedalon to be honest, Only bought one bike from there and they were brilliant, been back a few times since. Shops full of shiny shiny 8) I was enquiring about the Giant anthem not long back and they offered one for test ride, guite happy for me to take it back up to North Wales for a long weekend to ride it on my local trails, unfortunatley it didn't happen because I got my weekends confused :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20
    On the other hand, have I got the balls to ride this around :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/c ... _Bike.html

It's original!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20 wrote:
    On the other hand, have I got the balls to ride this around :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/c ... _Bike.html

It's original!

Naaah, purple is this year's pink!
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • scale20
    Looking at the scandal 29er they only do the frame in either British racing green or Pink.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    giant looks lovely - bit out of my budget though - i've plumped for a GF x-caliber (although not ordered it yet!)
  • scale20 wrote:
    Looking at the scandal 29er they only do the frame in either British racing green or Pink.
    BRG is gorgeous though!! check my blog for the BRG scandal 29er!
  • scale20
    Does look nice 8)

What size frame did you get and how tall are you and all that? That should give me a rough idea on frame size for me, I'm sh!t scared of getting it wrong :lol::lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • 29ers are so '08 build a monster crosser!

Think cx wheels and tyres, sus forks, hydro discs (run as interrupters), and drop bars with 2*10 gears.
  • scale20 wrote:
    Does look nice 8)

What size frame did you get and how tall are you and all that? That should give me a rough idea on frame size for me, I'm sh!t scared of getting it wrong :lol::lol::lol:
    i'm 6ft 2 and bout an 18inch.
    If you read the On-one website, there is a list of other riders and what size scandal they ride.
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=940

Also, phone On-One.. They're great over the phone and will help you choose the correct size if you're unsure.

Obviously though, it would be better to try before you buy.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    scale20 wrote:
    Been looking into getting my hands on a 29er HT for a while now and have decided on the Giant xtc 1 29er.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_xtc_1_29er.html

Off to pedal on Thursday evening to have a look, and knowing me having the breaking strain of a kit kat will probably walk away with it!

Anyone got one or ridden one?

The price is rediculous .. and the top bar is too thin for my liking ..

Imo your paying for the name .. nowadays
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    ratty2k

4298341496_b3a5799e4c.jpg

How long is that fork man!!!!

You going for the chopper look...? :lol:

Oh, and sorry if I've de-railed the thread... :oops:

Tis a 150mm Rev fork. Yer, climbing aint that good, but going down its a blast! And to er re-rail? this thread another gratuitous shot of my Singular... :)
    4083012387_52ef2780aa_b.jpg
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • scale20
    You pay for the name in everything you buy these days, theres no getting away from it! however with giant your getting a good brand, and im sure to build a 29er with those fox 29 forks wouldn't be cheap.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20
    Well, I've been let down, the Giant won't be at pedalon for me to try tomorrow night, a 3 week wait from Giant.

So, inbred or scandal 29er??
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.