Commuting 1 year on...

londonbairn
londonbairn Posts: 316
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I started commuting into work from Ealing to the City last January as a method to get fit (and save money). I started on a Halfords special GT Avalanche MTB (yes, I laugh now) to do the 15 miles.

In that time, I've experienced the following;

-Lost 5 stone (nothing much left to lose!)
-Insane metabolism (I eat junk all day and it makes no difference!)
-Ran over (bike write off, claimed successfully off car insurance)
-Went from the MTB to a Giant FCR 1 2009 to to a Wilier La Triestena 2010 for my commute

19845574686268960200901.jpg

-Ended up buying some more nice road bikes...(my pride and joy is a ROI Monster with Dura Ace 7800)

19845574686278940200901.jpg

-Going to buy more nice road bikes soon (a Viner is on the cards soon)
-A love for cycling
-Rubbing off on my g/f who wants a "pink carbon fibre" bike

For anyone who is starting off or thinking to, do it. Just be careful, cycling is addictive and if you're like me you will buy and buy new kit!

[/img]

Comments

• Fantastic! :D

Do you do it by bike every day? Does that leave you with any energy to cycle on weekends etc?
  • Fantastic! :D

Do you do it by bike every day? Does that leave you with any energy to cycle on weekends etc?

I usually aim for 4 days a week, usually taking Wednesday off to go to the gym with the missus to please her 8) . I have done 5 days a few times, as for weekend rides, at the moment I turbo from time to time, but I do find sometimes I lack the edge I have during the week, this year I want to hone my cycling so I can start entering events.

I compliment my cycling with a lot of weights, especially on the legs.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Hm,

You don't work on Grays Inn Road, do you?

[Edit] No, Ealing -> Grays Inn Road is significantly less than 15 miles. There's a chap in the same building as me with an identical Willier to you.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Can we have some before and after pics please :wink:
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    And you started bike commuting to save money :shock:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    @ Kurako. that's what I wondered too :D

Good on you LB.
  • I'll post some tonight!

Yeah, it has become a big hobby of mines, just as much the machinery as riding, the ROI I have barely used but I love just staring at it.

I'm 25, got a nice new job and about to buy a new place with a garage, so there is plenty of space for more bikes.
  • Cafewanda
    Don't forget the missus might need some of that garage space too :)
  • Cafewanda wrote:

Good call, then he can keep the bikes in the house. :D
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Nice choice of commuting bike! :D I have the same bike but I use it at the weekend.

Did the new wheels you put on make a big difference (Fulcrums)? I have the original 'Miche' ones still on and have wondered about changing.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda wrote:

Good call, then he can keep the bikes in the house. :D

That is NOT what I meant :D
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Nice choice of commuting bike! :D I have the same bike but I use it at the weekend.

Did the new wheels you put on make a big difference (Fulcrums)? I have the original 'Miche' ones still on and have wondered about changing.

The R7s come as standard on the La Triestina Mirage models. They seem fine, been commuting on it for a week, seem nice and solid especially on climbs. Definately feel better than the Campag Khamsins on the BIanchi.

The frame is really nice, very comfortable through London roads.

As for room, we're planning on buying a 3 bedroom place, 1 bedroom will be hers, apparently that is enough to keep her happy :P Runners don't need space to store stuff :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    [quote="londonbairn:P Runners don't need space to store stuff :lol:[/quote]

Oh yes we do! Numerous running shoes, winter/summer running gear/ drinks bottles, gadgets, notebooks/magazines, the list is almost endless :lol:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    londonbairn, joy radiates from your posts! Nice work fella :)
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Sewinman wrote:

The R7s come as standard on the La Triestina Mirage models. They seem fine, been commuting on it for a week, seem nice and solid especially on climbs. Definately feel better than the Campag Khamsins on the BIanchi.

The frame is really nice, very comfortable through London roads.

As for room, we're planning on buying a 3 bedroom place, 1 bedroom will be hers, apparently that is enough to keep her happy :P Runners don't need space to store stuff :lol:

Ah ok, they have changed the spec. V pretty commuter though. :)
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    :P Runners don't need space to store stuff :lol:

Oh yes we do! Numerous running shoes, winter/summer running gear/ drinks bottles, gadgets, notebooks/magazines, the list is almost endless :lol:
    [/quote]

But seriously wanda - you surely buy kids stuff so it can all fit in a small box anyway :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Cafewanda
    MM

:P :P :P

for the time being we are no longer friends :cry:
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    MM

:P :P :P

for the time being we are no longer friends :cry:

Outrageous given I defended you in the other thread!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Cafewanda
    Really? Show me.

Edit: Seen it but I can't believe it :shock: You are a gent (but how long for?) :wink: