Best commuting 26"tyre????

huwsspeedster
huwsspeedster Posts: 24
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Whats everyones opinions? I changed from a Specialized LK Control to a specialized Crossroad and to be honest no real advantage noticed? maybee a little less buzz of the road but not worth the change really!!Any better options? Comuting 25miles each way so an advantage would be good????

Comments

• The Conti Gators come in a 26". Fitted them to my kid's Luath road bike.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Take a look at Vittoria Randoneurs 1.5, very tough and feel great rolling on tarmac.
  • you cannot beat them...

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... spid=42725

will be purchasing my 3rd pair soon.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Seriously, 25 miles each way and you have 26" wheels? Is it some kind of mountain bike? :shock:
  • Continental Sport Contact.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    The Conti Gators come in a 26". Fitted them to my kid's Luath road bike.

I put Gators on my Rockhopper for commuting and I'm not entirely convinced. In the wet I'm actually more confident on my knobblies and Bristol City Council's abject failure to deal with the recent pothole outbreak means the Gators have been hanging in shed for the last month. They're light and quick, but I'll be saving them for the summer time...
    Rules are for fools.
  • Yes it a mountain bike! Bought it last year on the cycle to work scheme! So have to use it now and then!! Not really the best bike for a 25mile comute but its the only one I have!! Our company decided to extend the period on our bikes to 2 years? pay over 12months final payment a year after that? Not sure how legal that is within the scheme but they must be gaining something? So in the mean time my Rockhopper pro is having some road tyres and putting the miles in! Next time i can buy a bike on the scheme i will be after a comfortable road bike!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited February 2010
    Seriously, 25 miles each way and you have 26" wheels? Is it some kind of mountain bike? :shock:

After being told once too often that my Colnago would be wasted if i rode it through the winter I decided to slick up my mountain bike (no suss).
    Last weekend I went out with the club on the cafe run and kept up quite easily. Works as extra training too! So mtb's can be used for long distances.

I have fitted some Bontrager tyres (can't remember the model) but they are slick and go to 80 psi.
    Can't recommend them though as they feel a bit squirmy on anything resembling slippy :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Yes it a mountain bike! Bought it last year on the cycle to work scheme! So have to use it now and then!! Not really the best bike for a 25mile comute but its the only one I have!! Our company decided to extend the period on our bikes to 2 years? pay over 12months final payment a year after that? Not sure how legal that is within the scheme but they must be gaining something? So in the mean time my Rockhopper pro is having some road tyres and putting the miles in! Next time i can buy a bike on the scheme i will be after a comfortable road bike!

I'm not heckling, frankly I'm very impressed! Yes, it works as extra-training, but by god, you must be knackered after the week!

What they get from running the scheme over two years is the ability to write-down more of the bike against tax. It's currently their asset, and it depreciates over time.

Personally, I'd be trying to get hold of a second-hand road bike. There's a few bike recycling places about, I'd look there.