David Duffield 2010 Thread *Will contain swearing*

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Hi Boys and Girls,

With the 2010 season now fully underway it can only be a matter of time before the schedules require the expert commentary of Mr Duffield. Does anyone know if he'll be working this year? I for one hope so...
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• pottssteve wrote:
    Hi Boys and Girls,

With the 2010 season now fully underway it can only be a matter of time before the schedules require the expert commentary of Mr Duffield. Does anyone know if he'll be working this year? I for one hope so...

Well i dont know but in a minute well see a little farm house with a red roof. Just after the war I stopped there and tasted the Farmers cheese and sausage.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    He's worst on the classics, where he, quite literally, spends more time describing the races he once saw years ago, rather than what's happening in front of him.

I remember that MSR when Gilbert and RIcco made an quality escape from the group on the Poggio, only to hear the old man try and describe the '92 MSR.

If I wasn't so annoyed it would have been a facepalm moment.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    markwalker wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Hi Boys and Girls,

Well i dont know but in a minute well see a little farm house with a red roof. Just after the war I stopped there and tasted the Farmers cheese and sausage.
    Could be constrewed as rather rude,that :shock:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Yep - those kind of anecdotes best kept 'till after the watershed!
    :shock:
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    As a relative newcomer to cycling I have to say that I love Duffield's commentary. I was really surprised to see the slating he gets on the Eurosport forums.

Carlton's commentary is really irritating and he ruins the motorcycle racing for me too when Toby & Julian aren't available.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    His anecdote's are occasionally quite good but it ends there really.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Duffield mumbles incessantly and is perpetually confused.
    Kirby comes across as being dissinterested.
    Harmon has his own favourites (riders and teams) and misses key moments.
    What comes out of Kelly's mouth is often just a noise, but a generally well-informed noise.
    Big Maggy and Brian Smith are good sidekicks, but need a recognised broadcaster to lead them.
  • Duffield and Kirby are tom tit. Phil and Paul should be pensioned off.

The rest are fine for my money
  • markwalker wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Hi Boys and Girls,

LOFL
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He will have to dig deep from the suitcase of courage this year I think. he's a big man alright.
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    curium wrote:
    As a relative newcomer to cycling I have to say that I love Duffield's commentary. I was really surprised to see the slating he gets on the Eurosport forums.

Carlton's commentary is really irritating and he ruins the motorcycle racing for me too when Toby & Julian aren't available.

The thing that annoys me about Duffield is not really his rambling off-topic comments. After all, you have to fill the time somehow. I'd prefer to hear Duffield talk about a particularly good Cassoulet he had in the Auberge down the road, than hear Liggett and Sherwen do their sentence lengthening nonsense to fill up air time.

What bothers me is that Duffield doesn't really pick up on what's actually going on.He often talks about the race at a very superficial level. I never feel he's actually understanding the significance of what's happening. So newcomers miss a lot of the tactical stuff that makes cycling such a beautiful sport.

He also has a tendency to finish his nonsensical stories despite something of note happening in the race when he's half way through one.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French