Carlton Kirby

markwalker
markwalker Posts: 953
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Oi carlton whats happened? whats with this crew word and adoration of Armstrong? hes not even at the race.

Hopefully its your season opener and your form will return.

the missus turned off the commentary twice

Comments

• micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    He was great on the TdF last year dropping in tales from his colourful past during some of the longeurs but he leaves a lot to be desired as the main commentator
  • micron wrote:
    He was great on the TdF last year dropping in tales from his colourful past during some of the longeurs but he leaves a lot to be desired as the main commentator

Quite agree, he was very popular here. Magnus is good value as well
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    According to Magnus Leif Hoste has won the Ronde in the last two years?

They both appeared to be doing a Phil & Paul show in terms of their sycophantic ramblings - looking forward to David Harmon already
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think he's OK - admittedly better in his TdF role chipping in with amusing anecdotes but still up to the job as main commentator. I'd still like to see them mix up the teams a bit - Kelly and Maggy, Harmon and DUffers etc - just for an occasional change.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Big Maggy and Brian Smith aside, I find the commentary team at Eurosport infuriating.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yeah Brian Smith is good - he's really grown on me.

I suppose it depends what you want - do you want straight commentary on the race or more of a conversational style. What I like about just about all the Eurosport cycling commentators is you feel it's their real personality coming across - whereas the Liggett and SHerwin team seems a bit artificial to me. For me the number one is Kelly because he's as well informed as anyone but he's also got that dry humour - I do think he could give a bit more though as he must have loads of anecdotes he could share about riders past and present.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pedro118118
    I appreciate it's a tough gig - especially the live feed, when they have to fill dead time.

Kirby is OK, Harmon is OK (if a little excitable/manic), Duffield is senile and Kelly (whilst having a been-there-done-that credibility) is almost indecipherable at time (well...definitely etc etc).

I do agree that Sherwen and Liggett, whilst slick and professional, are a little annodine.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    I think the balance of one professional commentator and one experienced old pro works well, Those live mountain stages would be unbearable if the only comments were on the action, you need someone who can keep the audience entertained during the lulls. Also, after watching the BBC coverage of the Worlds and the Liggett and Sherwen show on Sky for the TdU I've come to appreciate the Eurosport coverage all the more!
  • Pross wrote:
    I think the balance of one professional commentator and one experienced old pro works well, Those live mountain stages would be unbearable if the only comments were on the action, you need someone who can keep the audience entertained during the lulls. Also, after watching the BBC coverage of the Worlds and the Liggett and Sherwen show on Sky for the TdU I've come to appreciate the Eurosport coverage all the more!

Exactly Phil and Paul were infuriating. The Lance love in was getting ridiculous by the end of the week.
  • pedro118118
    I think Phil and Paul are consumate, but the Armstrong factor really does get tired after while and skews the commentary. Seems as though they are simply trying to create an opportunity to talk about Lance's past victories/exploits.............the number of times they mention the 'off-road' excursion to Gap, the 'look' on Alpe D'Huez and his arrival (as presumably the best bike rider ever) at Sestriere has become tiresome.
  • stefrees
    stefrees Posts: 137
    loved kirbys comment on yesterdays highlights "there is a roundabout a thousand kilometres from the finish"