frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Petacchi has already won three races.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Petacchi has already won three races.

Problems with his teeth. I think he starts at the Ruta.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Just read this...hilarious:
    "I have always had respect for Petacchi, but he can't treat me like a peasant," Visconti told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "The champions were [Mario] Cipollini, [Paolo] Bettini... He [Petacchi] has zero personality."

Petacchi's Lampre team lead the final kilometres of the race in Donoratico, Italy, but Visconti's ISD-Neri challenged for position in the final two kilometres.

"Petacchi said to me, 'What the hell are you doing?' explained Visconti. "I told him, 'Ale, you do yours and I'll do mine.' He was infuriated, 'You don't respond to me that way' and he yanked at my ear."

Visconti retaliated with a punch as the race entered its final kilometre. Petacchi benefited from the work of team-mate Danilo Hondo to win for the sixth time since 2005. After the win, he was apologetic.

"Visconti was rude towards my team-mate [Lorenzo Bernucci] and this upset me," said Petacchi. "However, I would have been better off to not get into the middle of it. I was nervous and I reacted badly.

"I made a mistake and I take the blame. I will apologise the next time I see him."

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3029/ ... ality.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • stefrees
    stefrees Posts: 137
    i dont think petacchi winning 2 stages of the reggio calabria and the gp etrsuchi will both cav much come july
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    stefrees wrote:
    i dont think petacchi winning 2 stages of the reggio calabria and the gp etrsuchi will both cav much come july

But it might bother him come March 20th...
  • stefrees
    afx237vi wrote:
    stefrees wrote:

cant see pettacchi winning msr, even if cav doesnt
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    stefrees wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    stefrees wrote:

cant see pettacchi winning msr, even if cav doesnt

Any reason why? Lampre have basically built their team around him this year, he's already in form, and he's Italian. I wouldn't rule him out.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Surely only an idiot would rule him out? He's a previous winner, has clearly had a good winter and has a team to support him. If he stay injury and illness free then he'll be a favourite.
  • stefrees
    with the length of the race, and assorted capi (is that the right italian word? probably not knowing me) would the lead out all be there at the finish? i think there are a fair few faster sprinters than alejet (cav, farrar, ciolek) but id like to see gilbert do a cancellara to be honest, much more exciting
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    MSR is a sprinter's race these days, for better or worse. Solo riders winning it has become increasingly rare, but let's hope riders like Gilbert, Cancellara and Ballan try and shake it up. Last year's race was notable for the lack of serious attacks.
  • stefrees
    andyp wrote:
    MSR is a sprinter's race these days, for better or worse. Solo riders winning it has become increasingly rare, but let's hope riders like Gilbert, Cancellara and Ballan try and shake it up. Last year's race was notable for the lack of serious attacks.

true, i would have thought theyd try and attack more to shake cav off, coz if hes there, theres only going to be one winner. pozzato? ebh (although i dont think he has this quality yet) hopefully some others.

but i dont like petacchi (seem to be in the minorty here) so anyone but him
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    MSR does have the potential to throw up a surprise - Pozzato and Cancellara have won by jumping early and catching the sprinters by surprise. It is a sprinters race though, but the question is will Cav be in good enough condition by then - given his protracted tooth problems?!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Cav has dental problems and so he's shunted his start date back a bit.

These early season races really don't matter. In fact you almost don't want to be winning today as good form today can be hard to carry into the more important raced due in March and April. Although a sprinter relies less on form, they can win more often and do not need peak form to sneak a win.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    By 'form', I think Cav needs to be in top condition to contest the sprint. Last year at MSR he was climbing better than ever before and managed to survive the Poggio and Hancapie marshalled him to the finish.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    stefrees - last year Petacchi was one of the few sprinters who beat Cav is a straight sprint where Cav could have no excuses other than he didn't have the required speed. Farrar is certainly quick if he can get a clear run - not sure he's quicker than Petacchi - but I'd certainly have Petacchi up there above the likes of Ciolek.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.