BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Would 56cm be OK, or could I go lower?

Thx
BJB

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    It depends a lot on the manufacturer, to be honest. Your best bet is to sit on a few and get an idea. Even better, ride a few, you'll soon know what 'feels' right.

Or............. get measured up properly :)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • I am 6'2" and tried a 56cm Cannondale and was advised that although a reasonable fit for size, the 58cm was a better bet.

Due to supply issues, I have opted for a GT GTR3 Series 3 in XL

hTH
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    It will depend on how long your legs are compared to your torso etc. There are too many variables to give a correct answer on here. As has already been suggested, your bes bet would be to buy it from somewhere that offers a decent fitting service.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,629
    Would't think you'd need to go smaller than 56cm frame as a 6footer. As said above, manufacturers sizing varies. Consider the top tube length ( reach to handlebars.) as well as seat tube. Try before you buy is always best. Good luck.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Would 56cm be OK, or could I go lower?

Thx
    BJB

That depend on the frame you have in mind as EVERY frame out there has different geometry, so the best bet is to get yourself measured properly and go from there ....
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    borderline 56/58 It all depends on the length of the toptube. I'm 5ft 11 34 inside leg and ride a 58 roubaix. with a slightly shorter stem as its my first racing bike. Might go back to a standard stem.

With specialized, they do a Body Geometry fitting which is dscounted off the price of a new bike. Worth having. Not sure about other makes though. As a rough idea, you can input your measurements using competitivecyclist.com Fit calculator, and they'll suggest a frame size, top tube length, saddle height etc
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    It will depend on how long your legs are compared to your torso etc. There are too many variables to give a correct answer on here. As has already been suggested, your bes bet would be to buy it from somewhere that offers a decent fitting service.

+ 1
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • I'm 6 foot and ride a 56 Specialized Tarmac
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    I'm 6,2 and got fitted at Ribble. They recommended 58cm, which has feels perfect. Frame geometries vary depending on the manufacturer, so a 58cm Felt may not feel the same as a 58cm BMC.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Silly Car wrote:
    I am 6'2" and tried a 56cm Cannondale and was advised that although a reasonable fit for size, the 58cm was a better bet.

Due to supply issues, I have opted for a GT GTR3 Series 3 in XL

hTH

What Cannondale were you after? What was estimated delivery time?

I'm a touch under 6ft, 58 Madone was bit long on top tube, 56 Super Six felt better. Depends on your inside leg length aswell, mine's 89cm so i'm mostly leg.
  • rkdj
    rkdj Posts: 50
    older, balder, faster, slimmer, better
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    rkdj wrote:

You might - the results that gave me were completely different to the set up I ended up with after a proper fit session (and the fitting service has increased comfort and speed).

If you're buying a new bike, a fitting session should be included.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Thanks for the replies/advice.

Think I'll go and throw my leg over a few.

Cheers
    BJB
  • 99thmonkey
    99thmonkey Posts: 667
    I'm 6 foot and ride a 56 Specialized Tarmac

Me too but Im tempted to try a 54cm in the SL4 !
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Will also depend how aggressive a position you want as well , so a larger frame will give a lower saddle height relative to frame therefore a more relaxed position. and vice versa a smaller frame will give a higher saddle(relative toframe/bar height) therefore a more aggressive position. Most people wil fit 2 sizes and you need to see which suits you better.
    AS you can see from the various replies, everybodies got an opinion. As you said ,try some out see what suits you.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story