Tragic news : Ballerini dies

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2010 in Pro race
Italian national selector Franco Ballerini has died in a car rally accident.

RIP
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• First thing mentioned on ES's coverage of Qatar......Just before Armstrong.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/italian ... ally-crash
    Awful news.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    RIP Franco. Very sad news.
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    Sad news, who can forget his part in the 1993 Paris Roubaix, as well as the 2 wins he had
  • RIP Franco. A great classics rider
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RIP Franco. One of the great hardmen and some someone who could actually get the azurri to work together.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He could ride on the cobbles but look as if he was on rollers, he had the smoothest of pedalling styles.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RIP Franco

Ballerini_F4%20cut.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811
    heard about it on the road today from a passing rider

the man was an animal... class rider

strangely the most reoccurring memory was him trash talking Bartoli at flanders
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Timoid. wrote:
    RIP Franco. One of the great hardmen and some someone who could actually get the azurri to work together.

Yep a real classics hard man

sad news.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • quality career, hard rider for the worlds best race.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Terrible news. He was a very classy rider, always looked stylish off the bike and somehow managed to unite the Italian national team.

A sad loss. RIP.
  • He turned a team full of chiefs into a winning unit.
  • You idiots, you didn't put *spoiler* in the thread title!

Poor family. Hope it was quick for him. I think he has a couple of kids.

It's been a tough few months for cycling and "real life". 3 belgian suicides and 2 accidents. Just shows it's a microcosm of real life.

Rest in peace Franco, you were a huge inspriation when I was a kid - I have a bunch of posters and full colour VeloNews with him plastered all over it. Hugely emotional to see them rides those C40s over cobbles at incredible speed. I tried so hard always to emulate Ballerini, Bortolami, Tafi, Peeter. But especially Ballerini.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    Sad news. I was a big fan of his, he was a true hardman and I always loved watching him racing the Classics.

R.I.P. Franco
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    LangerDan love that photo - really captures what he was about. And then to go on to such success with the Italian team - a class act.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    RIP Franco. That 93 Roubaix was probably the greatest bike race I've seen, I was so pleased when he went on to win 2 years later.
  • RIP Franco. Just seen this now and am genuinely shocked. Really sad news.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Franco Ballerini Memorial BMC SLR01

ib101motorexbmc.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest