New Bike - Need bits

mattrsa
mattrsa Posts: 143
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Guys

Just got myself a next to new trek 1.2 as I have been commuting to work 20miles each way on a mountain bike

The bike has come with spd pedals, which I know nothing about.
Can someone reccommend me some cheap decent shoe

Also I prob going to need some mud guards. Can some reccommend me some that would fit .

thanks

Matt
Commuter - Trek 1.2
Fun - Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,375
    Shoes

Can recommend DHB from wiggle. Good value and easier to walk in than a pure road bike shoe.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360033176/

Size wise go 2 sizes bigger than you would for an ordinary shoe. I'm a size 10 and needed a size 46. Go for the grey/black option as the white always looks filthy.

Mudguards

Assuming that ordinary mudguards don't fit the Trek you're probably looking a a set of Crud mudguards. Do a search on Crud, there's a 15 pages thread on it in commuting.

I have found them effective in keeping the water spray off by backside but can't seem to get them perfectly fitted and they do rattle a lot. Though that's probably more to do with how I fitted them

ETA http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... light=crud
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I went one size up on those DHB and they're fine, I could have been ok with 1/2 size bigger.

Apart from those Lidl is worth looking as they sometimes have SPD shoes for £10 though they're nowhere near as good as ones stiffer soled ones like the DHB.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Have a look on ebay. It's just your luck if you can find a pair to suit but I did and they're fine.
  • mattrsa
    thanks guys

cheers for the info,
    just been for a quick spin, going to take some getting use to as I have never ridden a proper road bike

Might pop to evans now to see what they have and maybe try some shoes on for size
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Can recommend Specialized Taho MTB shoes for commuting etc, very comfy
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    +1 for spesh tahoe, excellent shoes.
  • Aguila wrote:
    +1 for spesh tahoe, excellent shoes.

+1
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    the 1.2 has integral mudguard eyelets so you can get more substantial mudguards than clip-ons

e.g. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sks ... d-ec004914 - but check your tyre width for the best type/fit

+1 for the Tahoe
  • mattrsa
    thanks

sounds like the tahoe is the one to go for and I do prefer the look of it to a normal road bike shoe

Might pop to the local bike shop and see what they recommend with regards to mudguards
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • I use Shimano MT41s, very comfy.
  • mattrsa
    just been told that with the pedals I have I can only have road shoes so looks like the taho's are out

like the look of the dhb r1 shoes but can't find anyone thats stocks them and need to try some on for size as have read that most people have to go for a bigger size than normal shoe
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • sell a kidney and buy some sidi shoes.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,375
    mattrsa wrote:
    just been told that with the pedals I have I can only have road shoes so looks like the taho's are out

like the look of the dhb r1 shoes but can't find anyone thats stocks them and need to try some on for size as have read that most people have to go for a bigger size than normal shoe

They are Wiggle only AFAIK

They will give a refund if not suitable but you'll be out the return postage.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mattrsa
    oh right I see. thanks for the info

Can anyone back up the theory that i will need one size bigger than my normal shoe which is 11.
    Commuter - Trek 1.2