Provisions on a long ride (food/clothes).

Scrumple
Scrumple Posts: 2,665
Having bought my bike(s) less then 2 years ago, with only 2 short stints of riding under my belt, I'm about to kick on.

I have been doing commutes, at 11 miles each way with some nasty hills - about 45 mins on my garmin 205 which cuts the stops off the time (red lights etc.). I don't carry anything other than water.

I'm now ready for some longer weeekend rides to top me up to the sportive level. I'd like to know what to pack, and I'm guessing 50 miles is a decent starting distance?!

Simply, what food/drink/clothing do you pack (please, nothing on tools etc.). I'm sad to say but it has just occured to me as I think of heading out that I have no idea what I would need on a 40 - 70 mile ride range.

For the food I would guess at one gel bar and 2 full bottles.
For the clothing I think the same as the commute at 11 miles (soft shell - baselayer)? No need to alter just cos it is longer?? Do you guys take stops or just cylce through the whole distance?

Cheers

Comments

• bcss
    bcss Posts: 174
    for food, I usually fuel up with 1-2 oat meals 2 hours before the ride and then have gels and granola bars for every 30 to 60 min of the ride (ie assume you go for 50 miles in 5 hours I would have 3-5 granola bars and 3-5 gel units)

For water in the winter 2 720ml bottles should be fine, in the summer need more than that (at least me but I drink a lot), but I usually stop at a shop ie no need to carry extra water

For clothing, if you feel ok after 45 min, wear the same (the only issue I have are my toes, so I have gaters plus double socks)

In terms of stops, just do how you feel

I know you mentioned nothing on tools, but just out of experience take a full replacement kit with you, it may easily happen that you are in the middle of nowhere and you get a puncture, trying then to get a taxi and get to a bike shop that is open on a ie sunday is a horror, believe ;-)

Good luck!
  • 50 miles you're talking about 3 hours, so 2 bottles will be fine, and you're on the borderline of needing any food, so one banana or munchy bar is all I'd take. Stop if you need to, but I'd recommend trying not to if you're looking to ride longer in the future.

For 70 miles I'd take energy drink rather than plain water, and try to find a refill halfway around. And I'd pack a couple of bananas and munchy bars, as you're further into refuelling on the ride.

Once you've done a few, then you'll be more aware of your own requirements, as they are very individual. Just don't confuse bonking with lack of fitness, as eating too much doesn't help.

Nice bike - I've got the Silk Road. :D
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    bcss wrote:
    for food, I usually fuel up with 1-2 oat meals 2 hours before the ride and then have gels and granola bars for every 30 to 60 min of the ride (ie assume you go for 50 miles in 5 hours I would have 3-5 granola bars and 3-5 gel units)

£ bars and 3 gels for 50 mikles ? I would be sick if I had that much.
    As George said 2 bolltes, probably one energy and one normal plus a banana should be ok, take a gel as reserve but 6 ? :D
    What do you do for a sportive? take a shopping trolley full of gels? :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    50 miles I'll just take 1 750ml bottle, two if it's hot. I take a gel or bar just in case.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    By the way, increase your milage gradually because if you ride much further too quickly you may feel as though you have bonked but its just the fitness level not right yet.
    It;s easy to confuse bonking with lack of preperation.
  • On long rides I only usually take a large bottle of water and 1 soreen malt loaf. Does the business.
  • Anonymous
    olddgreg wrote:
    On long rides I only usually take a large bottle of water and 1 soreen malt loaf. Does the business.

And some Bailey's.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    olddgreg wrote:
    On long rides I only usually take a large bottle of water and 1 soreen malt loaf. Does the business.

A full malt loaf?? :(

I love soreen as much as the next man, but a full loaf - thats proper love.
  • Anonymous
    olddgreg wrote:

I bet Gillian McKeith would love to have a chat with you....
  • bcss
    bcss wrote:

£ bars and 3 gels for 50 mikles ? I would be sick if I had that much.
    As George said 2 bolltes, probably one energy and one normal plus a banana should be ok, take a gel as reserve but 6 ? :D
    What do you do for a sportive? take a shopping trolley full of gels? :D

well not sure we talk about the same gels, i use these http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1028150/CLI ... locks.html and one pack has 6 gel blocks, so take 3-5 of those (that's why "gel UNITS" :D )

anyways it comes quite naturally how much you eat, but so far I ve always eaten up what I carried..but maybe you have a lot more "permanent" reserves on which you can chew :D
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I can't see why it would be necessary to use expensive energy gels or energy bars on a 50-60 mile training ride. Some people must like peeing money down the drain....

I take muesli bars and/or soreen malt loaf (individually wrapped slices) and for longer rides probably a jam/peanut butter sandwich.

On a sportive I'll take some gels as they provide a quick shot of energy, but on a training ride I can handle soft pedalling for a minute while I eat my sandwich so I really can't see the need to spend several pounds on gels for every ride.
    More problems but still living....
  • Don't be knockin' the malt loaf ! :wink:
  • gniz80
    gniz80 Posts: 25
    Some good points that have been raised by others i would say have 'hit the nail on the head' As has already been pointed out this is a personal thing and by testing out a few times im sure you'll soon be able to guage what is right for you in terms of how much food you bring along based on how long your rides are. regardless always make sure you bring the RIGHT food and take them at the RIGHT time. Energy Bars, Gels, etc are designed for different things. (for a 70-80mile ride I usually bring 2xbananas, 2xenergy bars, 2xgels. i may or may not use all but after I hit the 50 mile + mark my body burns fuel very fast, as is quite typical with a lot of riders.The last thing you want to do is be riding on an empty stomach.

Make sure the food is easily digestable. You dont want your body to be wasting energy trying to break down food. bananas are a favourite but after a certain distance your body needs other nutrients - good luck!

Ps: always have a good breakfast too.
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    bcss wrote:

For clothing, if you feel ok after 45 min, wear the same (the only issue I have are my toes, so I have gaters plus double socks)![/quot

gaters? This is a cycling forum! :roll:
  • bcss
    alp777 wrote:
    bcss wrote:

This is a cycling forum! :roll:

..no way :shock: well then I suggest you put down you teacher's hat and jump on a cycle :wink:...anyways some also call it overshoe :idea:
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    olddgreg wrote:
    Don't be knockin' the malt loaf ! :wink:

No way would I ever be knockin the malt loaf, I was merely commenting that eating a full malt loaf on a training ride might be a bit much. :wink:

Sat in the house with lashings of butter and tea, I reckon I could quite easily get through more than one malt loaf.
  • SheffSimon wrote:
    olddgreg wrote:
    Don't be knockin' the malt loaf ! :wink:

No way would I ever be knockin the malt loaf, I was merely commenting that eating a full malt loaf on a training ride might be a bit much. :wink:

Sat in the house with lashings of butter and tea, I reckon I could quite easily get through more than one malt loaf.

Haha your not alone there mate :wink:
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    Margarita flavour gels? I wonder how those go with my Pinacolada Mule Bars :-)
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I'm doing a 70 at the weekend and will probably take 2 x 750ml bottles, 1 homemade flapjack and possibly a banana. Anything else for me is overkill.