LLS not defending Paris-Nice due to too much pressure ?

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Dont get this one at all. A multiple TDF stage winner and a previous winner of stage and overall of Paris-Nice saying he cant handle the pressure of being defending champion. I wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye.
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• Odd indeed.
    Is he getting Jaochim Rodriguez's old job, so his racing schedule?
    If so he's getting the Caisse Giro leadership....
    Other than that, I know not.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I read it as he doesn't want to "compete" in the race but would rather just use it for training / getting miles in the legs. It's hard to turn up as a defending champion and not compete for the overall

If he goes to Italy, no expectations, easier life.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Tirreno-Adriatico has a TT whereas Paris-Nice should be decided by two short uphill sections, it's better suited to LL Cool, especially if he wants a more structured workout ahead of Milan-San Remo.
  • I suspect the fact that Valverde is banned from racing in Italy so can only enter Paris-Nice may well have had a bearing on this....
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    ruswilks wrote:
    I suspect the fact that Valverde is banned from racing in Italy so can only enter Paris-Nice may well have had a bearing on this....

Nail. Head. Caisse don't want 2 leaders in P-N, especially when Valv will be looking to hoover up wins ahead of possible further sanction.

Strava is not Zen.
  • 22/12/2009

What will be the other objectives of your season?

“I would like to do as well as I did in 2009 and win a race like Paris-Nice again, which I consider is ‘my’ race since I have been trying to win it since I turned professional. Currently the team does not intend to let me start but I hope that Eusebio Unzúe will change his mind "
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Incredible that Valv.Piti continues to take the proverbial - influencing the race programme of other team mates, because of quasi-dopting ban. Farcical.
  • lucybears wrote:
    22/12/2009

“I would like to do as well as I did in 2009 and win a race like Paris-Nice again, which I consider is ‘my’ race since I have been trying to win it since I turned professional. Currently the team does not intend to let me start but I hope that Eusebio Unzúe will change his mind "

Where is this quote from?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • lucybears wrote:
    22/12/2009

Where is this quote from?!

http://click.cyclingfever.com/?jump=3/1 ... 6994360-73

always a useful resource :wink:
    http://interview.cyclingfever.com/
  • LL will be riding P-N
  • lucybears wrote:
    LL will be riding P-N

YES! Thanks LB.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • So he isn't riding as TA has removed the TT stage and the Montelupone finish. I hope they have something very good to replace Montelupone as that was superb.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Looks like Rodriguez is also doing the same thing as LLS for the same reasons.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    lucybears wrote:
    LL will be riding P-N

"The Caisse d’Epargne rider said he doesn’t want the pressure of riding Paris-Nice as defending champion"

So he was basically talking a load of sh ite when he said that.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Moray Gub wrote:
    lucybears wrote:
    LL will be riding P-N

"The Caisse d’Epargne rider said he doesn’t want the pressure of riding Paris-Nice as defending champion"

So he was basically talking a load of sh ite when he said that.

Probably meant it at the time.

You'd be awful in a divorce!