Peak District: 1 - 0 Talentless Monkey

guilliano
guilliano Posts: 5,495
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Bloody weather! As I arrived at the hostel it started snowing. I thought it would be fun the next day, but no! I headed out for a ride in the morning and it had seemingly thawed a little in the evening, but then all the melted snow had frozen and left sheet ice everywhere. Jacobs ladder was completely impassable. After falling off about 15 times (partly lack of grip, partly lack of talent) I trudged back down and rode in the opposite direction to pick up the bridleway past Back Tor farm and on towards Hollins Cross. I had to get off the bike to pull myself over a 30ft section of sheet ice on the tarmaced hill. Through the gate by the farm, rode the 100m or so to the bridge (lump of slate) over the stream. This too was pure ice and couldn't be ridden, so I chucked the bike over and followed with a jump. Then as I carried on up the bridleway that was again just ice over the rocky path...... impassable! Grrrrrrr. My couple of days away ruined by the flippin weather!

Oh well..... at least Woburn was muddy and predictable on Thursday

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    bummer, feel for you. when it wants to be sh!t here it really is sh!tty. and it can turn on a dime. serious ice over though is a crappy deal breaker wherever.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    even if you hadn't named the Peaks, I bet most of us would have known where it was :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sounds like a rubbish day out. i feel for you.

its rides like that which stop me from riding in the winter, i just dont enjoy the slog, i cant wait for it to dry/firm up.