Polished aluminium frame???

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I'm quite tempted to strip and polish my Orange 5 frame. I'd probably need to get it laquered too.

Any thoughts?

Alternatively, what about stripping it and giving it a 'brushed' effect with some very fine wet and dry???

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sounds good, i have seen polished frames but they were designed to be so, im not sure if you will find all sorts of manufacturing related blemishes under the paint on a bike which was always going to be painted perhaps?
  • Not sure what I'll find.

Just got March MBR and there's a feature on Orange Bikes and there's a lovely polished 5 pictured several times. But I was in my LBS the other day and saw a bike that was brushed style aluminium under a very thick lacquer. I can't remember what make it was unfortunately!
  • you cant lacquer highly polished aluminium - there is no "key' for it to adhere to ;)

either run it bare and risk corrosion, or brushed.

will look good though :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not waste my time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Never thought about that. Brushed with a deep lacquer it may have to be then.

Wonder if I could etch the original graphics into the metal???????
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i got a frame powder coated at a place in bamber bridge that refurbishes car alloy wheels. they did my frame the same silver they do car wheels with then gave it a coat of extra hard lacquer. looked stunning ,much easier than polishing
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • nicklouse wrote:
    i would not waste my time.

That's your choice.

I'm sure there's things that you do that I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in doing........

......such as posting in threads with less than useful comments :wink:
  • pastey_boy
    heres the finished article
    05082007077.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Looks good.
    What's the name of the company that did it and what did they charge you.

But I think, If I do it, I'll go for the brushed finish under a thick lacquer..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you asked for
    Any thoughts?
    and those are mine.

having spent a lot of time ding just this and also see the results of other peoples attempts.

Rawing it with a brushed finish is a better option as you can hide the damage etc...

but dont expect to have it done in a weekend.

well rephrase that if you want to get all the paint off the frame be prepared to sit down with a pic to get it out of all the welds or take a risk grinding the welds down and possibly weakening the frame.

whatever you chose have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pastey_boy
    http://www.wheelrepair.co.uk/ it cost me £60 all in including stripping the original paint and masking everything to a high standard. had some amazing colours. gonna get my ragley mmmbop done to make it stand out
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • vapour blasting or dipping it would be the best option of removing paint :)

if you were local id have had it dipped for you
  • Cheers Nicklouse.

I suppose I did ask for your thoughts.:oops:

I'm just trying to fend off my cravings for a new bike when there's nothing wrong with the ones I've got.

I was thinking of getting the frame dipped and stripped rather than doing it myself.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Mmm quite like the idea of the wheel finisher when it comes time to refurb the stumpy, only just up the road to. Duly book marked.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    There are chrome powdercoats available now if you want it really shiney, I've seen it on some parts on a hotrod, lovely finish :-)
  • I loved my Old Faith which came in the raw finish, it looked so PIMP.

1151485678_79c70e6bc2.jpg[/i]
    If i am going out on one i am happy, If i am out on one i am happy, If i have just been out on one i am happy, otherwise miserable!
  • £60, for dip, strip and repaint. Bargain!!!! Cheers pastey.

My warranty is up in May, so I'll seriously look into it then!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    £60, for dip, strip and repaint. Bargain!!!! Cheers pastey.

My warranty is up in May, so I'll seriously look into it then!

will you have to strip the frame of its bearings yourself and will they mask up the bits where you dont want paint?
  • It's a proper bike so it's only got 2 bearings. :P

Pastey-boy says masking was included at that price, but I think I'd rather do it myself. I'd better factor in a few quid to get everything faced up agian though!