Help getting through centre of Bristol to Stoke Gifford

cheddarpaul
cheddarpaul Posts: 126
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Hey all

I live in North Somerset (obviously) and want to use the old bike to finish my journey to work. As I work in Stoke Gifford I have to either go up the A38 and right through the centre of town or go over the top of Chew Magna and then use the ring road.

Ideally I would like to cover the last 5 to 7 miles by bike to avoid the traffic but cant find anywhere to leave the car and have a safe ride in to the office.

Can anyone suggest somewhere?

All responses mucho appreciated.
Boardman Team Comp
Boardman CX Team
Boardman Full Suss Pro
Brick Lane fixie
Genesis Day One

Comments

• Ride all the way :twisted: leave the car at home, not very helpfull I know but i'd rather ride through the city plus there are loads of places up the Gloucester Road to park a car
    Tarmac Summer: Burls Custom Ti,
    Tarmac Winter: Dolan Preffisio
    Mud: 2013 orange five pro, 2012 Cube Ltd Race, 1992 saracen sahara elite
  • Ride all the way? All 26 miles of it each way? If only...

Nope I need to do the last 5 to 7 miles to miss the bulk of the heavy traffic and get some exercise.....
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • jangle
    jangle Posts: 114
    if you go over the top of Chew Magna and down Broad Oak hill there is a row of cars on the left at the bottom of the hill (a). I have parked there a few times with no problems. I have also parked in bedminster (b) and gone from there, but spaces depend on the time of day. Any later than 0830 and you may struggle to find a spot.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... =UTF8&z=12
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    If you want to avoid traffic it's probably best to ride the Bristol Bath railway path in - come off at Fishponds, go under the M32 towards the big yellow building, past UWE, past Bristol Parkway and into Stoke Gifford...

Depends how much of a detour you're willing to take tbh! I think the Avon Cycleway which starts around Chew area filters onto the Bristol Bath railway path doesn't it? There's probably enough parking in one of the villages...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • sarajoy wrote:
    Depends how much of a detour you're willing to take tbh! I think the Avon Cycleway which starts around Chew area filters onto the Bristol Bath railway path doesn't it? There's probably enough parking in one of the villages...
    It does at Saltford (a few miles outside of Bath). That would be quite a detour though and you also have to contend with crossing the A4 at Saltford(although there is a ped crossing you could use ;) ). Mind you that is a nice route to ride if you don't mind the odd hill or 2.

Mike
  • Ride all the way? All 26 miles of it each way? If only...

Nope I need to do the last 5 to 7 miles to miss the bulk of the heavy traffic and get some exercise.....

I ride 22 miles each way to work and back, I admit not every day but twice or three times a week usually, if its horrible out there I usually jump on the train for part of the journey, i'm not particulalry fit either, takes me a while
  • jangle wrote:
    if you go over the top of Chew Magna and down Broad Oak hill there is a row of cars on the left at the bottom of the hill (a). I have parked there a few times with no problems. I have also parked in bedminster (b) and gone from there, but spaces depend on the time of day. Any later than 0830 and you may struggle to find a spot.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... =UTF8&z=12

Parking in Bedminster would be a good option, I work at the end of North Street near Ashton Gate, plenty of places which are reasonably secure to park around here.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Parking in Bedminster would be a good option, I work at the end of North Street near Ashton Gate, plenty of places which are reasonably secure to park around here.

Plus there's always the option to catch the mighty reds in action on your way home

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I work at Aztec West and everyone who cycles in from the centre comes up the A38, there are lots of suburban roads parallel but I spose they're just rat runs.

The alternative route (for here) is round the ring road though Frenchay & Parkway, you can get to that off the B&B cycle path.

Chew Magna -> B&B cycle path you could go via Whitchurch & Hengrove then pick it up either at Temple Meads (or train from Temple Meads to Parkway / Patchway / Filton- very frequent).
  • SecretSam wrote:

Plus there's always the option to catch the mighty reds in action on your way home

:D