Places you can eat with your bike - London

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Often I'm presented with the requirement to stuff my face when I'm out with the bike (particulary on the way home or when I'm out for a weekend jaunt).

However, I don't carry a lock with me.

So, where are some places I can go by where I can purchase my food whilst still keeping a glove on my beloved so somebody doesn't deprive me of it?

Comments

• Burger vans. Richmond park, Putney Hill and Chelsea Bridge. Nowhere to sit though.
  • why dont you carry a lock?
  • prj45 wrote:
    Often I'm presented with the requirement to stuff my face when I'm out with the bike (particulary on the way home or when I'm out for a weekend jaunt).

So, where are some places I can go by where I can purchase my food whilst still keeping a glove on my beloved so somebody doesn't deprive me of it?

what sort of area? pub gardens have a reasonable level of security, or some cafes have spaces etc.
  • Is your other half comfortable with this pologomist relationship, where the bike sometimes goes for fancy meals at the local French restaurant with you? :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Bear77
    Bear77 Posts: 60
    Seems a bit 'Third Policeman' to me :?
    The revolution will not be televised
  • prj45
    tri-sexual wrote:
    why dont you carry a lock?

Cos they're fackin heavy and awkward, and people can still get bits off your bike anyway, or the whole thing if they are so minded and equipped.

Anyway. I went to the Fish Pond in Notting Hill today, on Portobello Road. Bit of a nightmare getting to it considering the population of three large Italian cities were swarming through the area, but a mean saveloy and chips.

Had to leave the bike propped up outside, but nobody had any chance of getting more than about three metres with it before the wheels got clogged with grockles.
  • prj45
    Is your other half comfortable with this pologomist relationship, where the bike sometimes goes for fancy meals at the local French restaurant with you? :lol:

No it doens't, they wouldn't let us in, we prefer a quick burger round the back of the market.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I like my bike too, and I know Valentine's day is coming up - but don't you think this is taking it a bit far?

:)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    prj45 wrote:

what sort of area? pub gardens have a reasonable level of security, or some cafes have spaces etc.

That's what I was thinking. The Union in Greenwich has great food, Meantime brewery beer and they will happily let you wheel the bike into the secure beer garden and let you order on the way.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Aidy wrote:
    I like my bike too, and I know Valentine's day is coming up - but don't you think this is taking it a bit far?

:)

heck I know someone who would rather take his golf clubs out to a Valentines meal than me :lol: :roll:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Canny Jock wrote:
    prj45 wrote:

That's what I was thinking. The Union in Greenwich has great food, Meantime brewery beer and they will happily let you wheel the bike into the secure beer garden and let you order on the way.

The Dog and Bell in Deptford is also very bike friendly - same situation, take bike through the bar to the secure garden. They also have bike racks outside for those with old bikes and very good locks

Gypsy Moth in centre of Greenwich has a garden with a side door so you can take it through and sit next to it
  • That pub type of thing in Regents park between the football and the rugby pitches. The Honest Sausage. Honest.
    Hang loose and dangly!
  • prj45
    That pub type of thing in Regents park between the football and the rugby pitches. The Honest Sausage. Honest.

Top one, looks v good:

http://www.honestsausage.com/greatfood.html
  • Can't recall what part of town you are in mate but the Lock 7 cafe just off Columbia Road Market (by the Regents Canal - though I guess the name may have been a clue) is a bike shop / cafe so I'd imagine you'd get away with wheeling it in.

It is well worth a visit. Passed it last weekend and popped in. Seemed really friendly and sold some odd and vintage bikes as well as doing normal bike shop things.

They have a web presence...aha found it http://lock-7.com/ open 8-6. Not cafe-cheap but it is trendy Hackney
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • prj45
    Can't recall what part of town you are in mate

West London, but all over it at the weekend if I take the bike out (can't stand cycling in the country it's so dull).

I will have to visit, but I think it might like to have a rethink on its promotional material:

ccakecoffeeround.jpg
  • :D Yeah, didn't look very appertising. I only went in for a coffee but it was very good and the staff very nice (all female when I was there, which was unusual for a bike shop).
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    How do you get the loo door closed when you get caught short :shock:
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Not sure about the weekends, but Leather Lane has loads of stalls with excellent assortment of foods. The Trumans Brewery has a barbecue shop and a couple of vans with seats (and if your bike gets nicked you don't have to walk far to Brick Lane to get it back) :roll:
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Lots of excellent food stalls at Borough Market, under cover too. Rammed at the weekends but go early or late during the week and there's plenty for everyone.
    <a>road</a>
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    prj45 wrote:
    tri-sexual wrote:
    why dont you carry a lock?

Cos they're fackin heavy and awkward, and people can still get bits off your bike anyway, or the whole thing if they are so minded and equipped.

Anyway. I went to the Fish Pond in Notting Hill today, on Portobello Road. Bit of a nightmare getting to it considering the population of three large Italian cities were swarming through the area, but a mean saveloy and chips.

Had to leave the bike propped up outside, but nobody had any chance of getting more than about three metres with it before the wheels got clogged with grockles.

Bought one of these for the missus to lock up the kid's buggy, but take it out on my bike if I want to pop into a shop / cafe.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Squire_Retractable_Cable_Bike_Lock/5360040639/
    Very small and will only prevent an opportunistic thief (the wire is only 2mm) but gives some piece of mind while queuing for a sandwich.