Cannondale Lefty Mudguard Options?

daz123
daz123 Posts: 12
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
As per title,
I have just got a new Cannondale Prophet with lefty 110 speed front fork and my front mudguard will not fit the lefty fork.

So was wondering if there was any mudguards that will fit or specially made to fit or even if there is an adaptor that will allow me to fit any mudguard.

I'm aware of an adaptor for cycle comp sensors that fit the lefty but was also wondering if any one could suggest a descent comp for me to buy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Daz. :?:

Comments

• daz123
    Somebody must have seen or know which fender will fit a lefty, please guys help!!!!!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What have you got now, and why won't it fit?

Use a Crudcatcher?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Use a Crud Fast Fender as it fits to the handle bars and only costs about £8. Looks very moto but works really well. :wink:
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    Daz,

I have a SKS shockboard ( I think it is? ) front mudguard on my Lefty, its a few years old now, but it has an adaptor that fits up inside the Lefty head tube and the mudguard just clips onto it, works quite well and is on / off in seconds.

This is it :-

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... x?&id=2156

Don't forget you also need the Lefty adaptor on top of this price, its not bad, the mudguard could be a little longer at the back, but at least it stops all the crap being flipped up in your face.

Get the rear one as well, they both come off in seconds for that odd dry ride ( if we ever get one again! :roll: )

Forgot to mention computers before, I used to use a normal wired computer ( I find cold weather kills the signal with an ultrasonic one ) and extended the wire for the sender so it would reach the back wheel, and run it off the back wheel, but I use a garmin gps now which is far better anyway.

Hope this helps,

Poucher :wink:
  • daz123
    Thanks for the replies guys.

bails87:- I have a the one xc front fender the expanding bush(approx 18mm) that fits inside the head-tube is way smaller than the lefty's(approx 30mm), and even if it did fit the head tube the bush isn't long enough. I already have a crud catcher which help but does not eliminate the mud/water hitting me in the face/eyes.

silveringsurfer:- The crud fast fender looks like it might be the best and cheapest option as it would match the crud catcher on the down-tube and rear crud catcher iv already fitted, Don't mind the moto look as long as it works.

Poucher:- Yeah that sks one would suit great but it means buying the rear as well as I'm a bit of perfectionist/aestheticist and there for is on the costly side, But think i may hold out until weekend and take a visit to my local leisurelakes and have a look at it and see if its worth the outlay for looks etc.

anyway thanks for the input and if you can think of anything else on the market that may do the job then please let me know.

Cheers, Daz
  • daz123
    Just found these pictures of what looks perfect any ideas on how he has done this?

3280587085_e0f312e044.jpg
    3281413788_79c572c4e4.jpg

Was also wanting to know how to mount a minipump to the frame as there isnt any obvious place and the mount that came with my cannondale minipump wont fit and also a water bottle. This photo may help, And would you believe its of the exact same bike as mine. Of course im better looking and alot fitter than the chap/pirate in the pic.

06PROPHET1000SL.jpg

Daz.
  • I would never fit a pump to my frame unless I lived in California like pirate boy :? They just get filled with gunk or smashed if you drop the bike. If you want some emergency inflation then a co2 system stuffed in a saddle bag is probably the best on bike method. The other alternative is one of the new micro pumps that will fit in a pocket - WMB have got a review of pumps in this months mag. (March edition - and no I don't work for them!)
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    daz123 wrote:
    Was also wanting to know how to mount a minipump to the frame as there isnt any obvious place and the mount that came with my cannondale minipump wont fit and also a water bottle. This photo may help, And would you believe its of the exact same bike as mine. Of course im better looking and alot fitter than the chap/pirate in the pic.

Looks like he has used cable ties to attach the pump mounting bracket.
  • poucher
    Daz,

The silver prophet in the first picture - it looks like the guy has made a steel bracket to adapt the mudguard to the Lefty and fastened it to the lefty with the two great big ugly jubilee clips you can see in the pics.......what a horrible bodge :!:

trust me, just buy the sks one, its the only one I found with the Lefty specific adaptor, the problem is that the casting that joins the Lefty leg to the steerer tube is raked forward quite a bit, the lefty adaptor has a leg on it that point forward about 35mm so that when you clip the mudguard on it doesnt foul the casting and twist it out of line.

If you tried to put a normal adaptor in the steerer tube without the forward facing leg, the mudguard would hit the casting and twist to the right ( as viewed from above ) at about a 20 deg angle, I'll try and post some pics of my set up when I get time.

As regards the pump, just keep it in your camelback like 99% of other mtb'rs do :D

Cheers,

• poucher
    Daz,

Some photo's for you, first one is of my Cannondale Jeckyll in winter trim, you can see both the clip on SKS mudguards clearly here.
    6479101325572affdcd0ed8230b1c4febd7e7578dfa31d4d5d5432033227e1939e44adda.jpg

This is the Lefty without the mudguard, you can see the adaptor sticking proud
    7045138532b5d0a29e98f80766291c62fb54d8e993a3698b8dc9cd2deb7092dbd3af25a1.jpg

This is the Wife's front mudguard that I have converted to a shorty rear for my bike ( Don't tell her :shock: )

403079366411bea58838b98bf7f5fe803d449db58f9f1107d6f9e606e6858d00dea12ea1.jpg

This is my new summer only ride, a 2010 Lapierre Zesty 714 carbon, its blinging !! :D
    34631630be17561546c2b6edb74fffdcfd1325e903eb79e0b90edb52f996f7257b8cb8f5.jpg

Hope the pics have enlightened you,

Cheers,

• poucher
    Daz,
    I'll try with the photo's again !! :evil: :evil:

Can anyone tell me a better photo hosting site??

Some photo's for you, first one is of my Cannondale Jeckyll in winter trim, you can see both the clip on SKS mudguards clearly here.

P1010693.jpg
    This is the Lefty without the mudguard, you can see the adaptor sticking proud
    P1010698.jpg

This is the Wife's front mudguard that I have converted to a shorty rear for my bike ( Don't tell her :shock: )
    P1010701.jpg

This is my new summer only ride, a 2010 Lapierre Zesty 714 carbon, its blinging !!

P1010704.jpg

P1010705.jpg

P1010706.jpg

Better late than never, hope this helps,

Cheers,

• daz123
    poucher, thanks for the pics,bit clearer now!

What pedal's you got on the jekyll?

Daz.
  • poucher
    Daz,

The pedals on the Jeckyl are Shimano DX M647, they are great, tough as old boots, easy to clip into and the platform gives you something to push against should you miss clipping in first time around, you can get them for about £50 from Merlin Cycles.

Don't get the cheaper M424 ones as the screw always comes out of the end of the platform, 3 of my mates have had the same happen to them.

• hi yall
    i have a lefty 140 on my prophet and i bought the sks shock-board to see if i could figure a better way than buying the adapter. the shock-board comes with a variety of bushings, a rubber bit to wrap around the chosen bushing, a long connector and a short connector. after messing about and looking at all of the options i simply drilled a hole through the both of the connectors and bolted the long one to the bottom of the short one. on the underside of the long one there is a square of empty space and the nut fit perfectly inside of it and the bolt was the perfect length so that it did not stand proud. works a treat and now i'm dry.

i also gut by the computer sensor adapter by again simply using the provided zip ties and attaching it to hard bit where the cable connects to the front disc break unit. hayes 9 and the computer is cateye velo

hope this helps
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Welcome to the forum, but I have my doubts whether the OP is still trying to find a solution, as the thread is three years old.n
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools