Selling - Whole Vs Split ? Discuss...

jmillen
jmillen Posts: 627
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hey peeps :)

What are peoples views on selling a bike whole vs splitting it?

I'm thinking not only in terms of money but the hassle (i.e the splitting itself) and posting.

Any thoughts welcome. I'm not after potential prices based on a particular bike, just your thoughts on which you'd do and why ?

Cheers
James
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
2014 De Rosa R848
Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter

Comments

• It's down to what people want to buy and the numbers of people. A bike at a spec is limited interest, but the individual components attract a potentially wider field. There are possibly more interested buyers of each component than there are of the whole bike. So the odds of a sale increase along with the work involved
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • ^ This

Also, if you're splitting, you need to be in a position where you can wait for everything to sell and be aware that some things sell better than others. It's alright selling forks, brakes, cranks, wheels etc, but if you're then stuck with a frame you cant shift, that's potentially a big chunk of change out of the full value.

I sold one of my old bikes on Ebay to a guy who splits bikes and sells them on. He was happy paying the price I wanted because he knew he could get more on re-sale by splitting, but it took him a few months to shift everything and turn a profit.

AND, you need to be aware that there are a lot of people out there who buy bikes then split them. Most do it for a side hobby, to fund their bike habit, but some are a bit more serious. Unless you've got some pretty special kit, it's very much a buyers market and you need to get your pricing right, especially if you want a quick turnaround.

Just my 2p on it.