Crud or SKS or ?

misterben
misterben Posts: 193
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I've been reading around some of the posts here, but I wondered if anyone had experience of fitting SKS or Crud Road Racers to an older bike.

I have an old 10speed that I'm using to commute, but it needs guards. It has a single set of brazeons front and back, so I could go for "normal" guards (if they'd fit), but I was thinking that maybe it would be better to go for some of the clip-on type, and then maybe later invest in a rack.

I fancy the look of the Crud ones, and I remember the brand from when I was into mountain biking as a teenager, but I know that SKS have been into the game a bit longer when it comes to road bikes.

Anybody got a strong opinion either way?

(FYI, the bike is an old Peugeot with a Carbolite 103 frame. Clearance is quite tight around the brakes in particular. I'm running 700x23c tyres on it.)
mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
JediMoose.org

Comments

• Clearance is the factor. The Cruds are a better option (IMHO) than raceblades but if full SKS guards fit they are longer than the Cruds. Old 10 speed? What five years max ten speed cassette or a five speed double from nineteen canteen?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    If clearance is tight even with 23 tyres I'd be really surprised if you could fit full guards. I've got full SKS guards having previously had SKS raceblades, and the difference is very noticeable: the raceblades kept most of the spray off me (not off the frame though) but were always a bit flimsy - kept having to adjust the front one to get it straight. The full guards are brilliant and rock-solid but a real, serious bugger to fit.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • I have the Cruds, albiet on a new bike (see sig.). The clearances on my bike as as tight as I've seen and they fit fantastically. It's just what they were designed for.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I love the Cruds and they do what they are supposed to do but the bottom end of my front guard seems to have vibrated loose and disappeared :cry:
    Moral of the story is to check your nuts are tight every ride ...ooer Matron
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I have Crud's on my bike and they are great, but I have struggled to get the rear guard to fit perfectly on my Giant Defy with 25mm tyres. I'm going to have to buy another set soon, roll on the summer.

I'm fairly confident that you could fit a full set to your Peugeot which I think would be the best option, you're running 23's and the frame and forks have fittings for guards which is a good indicator.

Maybe worthwhile popping down to your lbs before you make the final decision,

I've got an 80's Peugeot Grand Prix (501 frame) in the shed, must try to get it back on the road sometime soon.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Flasheart wrote:
    I love the Cruds and they do what they are supposed to do but the bottom end of my front guard seems to have vibrated loose and disappeared :cry:

Yeah, one of the bolts for the stays on the front of mine did a runner for it.

Crud seem to have a fairly respectable replacement policy, although I've just gaffer taped it together for now.
  • i use the SKS blumells. took an hour or more to fit. fiddly. not touched them since then, worth buying a few extra bolts for them (£1 each). still get a little spray, but keep you super dry otherwise. 35mm versions in black should be narrow road tyre options. nicely rounded, not very noticable.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • Flasheart wrote:

Get in touch with Mr Crud, he has sorted out various replacement bits for forum members.

I've still yet to fit my set to the Felt F5C, partly down to not wanting to take her out in the recent weather, but also because I'm in the middle of fitting Bontrager Speed Limit calipers... They did not come with a long front fork bolt, so I added one to my On-One order, but they have sent me a short one! :lol:

I feel a bit cheeky, getting in touch 6 weeks later, asking for the correct size! :)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo