Individual bike "sheds".

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone else seen these? Found them in a couple of places in Sheffield - Meadowhall and Asda. A row of metal bike sized locker type things, in which you put your entire bike and any other kit, shut the door and lock it with a padlock. Brilliant! Bike is dry, tamper proof, can leave lights/tools on it, helmet etc. Meadowhall even have a sign telling you nearest place to buy a padlock!

Love it! Particularly when my son is with me and I have the bike seat and his sh*t with me as well.

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I saw something like that at a hospital a couple of weeks ago. Didn't have a good look, I just noticed them on passing but they looked like a locker type thing in which the bike would have to stand vertically.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    suzyb wrote:
    but they looked like a locker type thing in which the bike would have to stand vertically.

Ahhh, do you like to lay yours down for a rest? 8)
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Got these in a few of the car parks in croydon town centre. very interesting indeed. never used them.
  • gaz545 wrote:
    Got these in a few of the car parks in croydon town centre. very interesting indeed. never used them.

Probably the safest way to leave your bike around here!

I've seen these boxes up at Euston Station (not for passengers mind you, but round the back in the staff/delivery parking area), very useful when I am working up there as I can leave the cable part of my lock combination at home and just bring the d-lock in to secure the door :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I saw some of these in a multi-storey car park in Aberdeen, I was suitably impressed. :)

I'll see if I can dig out a picture later.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    They have some at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield - I have exclusive use of one of them :D. Just got it, but its fantastic - bike is out of sight, can leave lights and things on the bike and come summer when I want to take my good bike so I can go straight out on evening rides I don't have to worry about the bike getting nicked.

They have them for visitors at Rotherham General as well.
    More problems but still living....
  • PBo
    looks like south yorkshire is at the forefront!!!!!
  • At my college we have several of them, I use one every day, bike stays dry, warm and I can also stash all kinds of crap in there! they are pretty secure too.
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • There are some at Ipswich railway station, only once ever found one empty and not padlocked still though. Not sure if you're supposed to hire them or if you just have to be lucky. They had them in Huddersfield in the mid nineties by the way, used to use them when I was at Uni there.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • PBo
    There are some at Ipswich railway station, only once ever found one empty and not padlocked still though. Not sure if you're supposed to hire them or if you just have to be lucky. They had them in Huddersfield in the mid nineties by the way, used to use them when I was at Uni there.

the ones at meadowhall are first come first serve but you can't leave a bike overnight. Seems fair enough....
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    How are they secure if all is holding the door locked is a padlock? Nice that you can stick more than just the bike in there but frankly I'd prefer to lock mine to a stand with my usual D lock and cable with 2 padocks, sounds far safer. If the bike thief only has to bolt cut a padlock of the front, they'll be in like flint
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Aidy wrote:
    I saw some of these in a multi-storey car park in Aberdeen, I was suitably impressed. :)

I'll see if I can dig out a picture later.

A secure place to leave your bike in a multi-storey car park. How ironic. :lol: