Schwalbe Marathon Plus - poor grip?

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Since changing to Marathon Plus's last October I've noticed a few more twitches when cornering or going across white line paint. Up until now I've put it down to the weather but I've just got back from a quick 15 miler (I'm off work today) and even though it's dry and sunny here I still noticed a twitch or two.

Could it be that there is still mud/dirt around from the crap weather we've had, or has anyone else noticed that Marathon Plus tend to slip and slide a bit?

I know it depends on what you compare it to but to be honest they seem worse than any tyre I've ever used. Great puncture protection though!

Comments

• The Marathon Plus tyres on the tandem seem to grip well enough, but it's only really used as a taxi for the kids so hard to compare.

However, if a tyre lasts well I would think it's made from harder rubber and therefore less grippy and if it has a tread it obviously won't grip as well on the road as a slick tyre.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    That they're a bit slippery has been my experience, too, but the complete absence of punctures make it a fair trade, IMHO :)
  • They can be a bit skittish-but as jamesco says,it is a fair trade off.I love `em.Been using them for 3 years now and only had 2 SLOW punctures in that time.
  • Fantastic tyres if you dont want punctures, just take it a bit steadier on bends,white lines,manhole covers! This I learnt from trying to get home quickly in the rain & ended up on my @rse going round a roundabout.
  • have to say I've not found them skittish but then I have 38mm form so lot more rubber on the road.
  • Pretty much confirms my thoughts.

Totally agree with the trade-off though; great tyres!
  • I've had 700x25c version on my Felt F5C and the 26x1.75" version on my Pylon8. No PF visits, no scarey grip moments, including light off-road riding.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Mine have been fine, except one incident involving black ice but I blame myself for that, as did the road.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    never had any slip at all in about 4000 miles. I'm happy to admit I may just be very used to them though?
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    think its the profile, their very tall and oval shaped so the actual contact area with the road is less then a more rounded tyre. Not had any sliding issues (ha will stack it tomoz now have said that lol) but protection is simply the best !
  • Just a hunch but would those with slippy M+'s have the thiner sizes?

the 38mm have more I think about been very surefooted, even wet metal work they tend to be okay with.

they are very heavy but planted to the road tires, PSI helps as well I tend to be 50 than 100PSI.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I weigh 83kg and run 28mm marathon+ at 90psi

They aren't the grippiest tyres in the world but I would not describe them as skittish. 25mm ultragator skins are skittish in the wet. Marathon+ are not.

Marathon+ handle badly however. Maybe that's what you mean. They don't have much sidewall flexiblity, it's not grip as such