New Job / New Route

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Righto,

Starting a new job a week on Monday so I'm no longer going to be going from Surrey to Tower Hill, I'm going to be going from Surrey to White City.

It only struck me this week that I'm no longer going to be enjoying NKR and The Embankment and that cycling these day and night are the best things about my current job. I love this part of my commute.

Anyway, I guess that obvious route for me to White City is Over Puney Bridge (as I do now) and up Fulham Palace Road to Hammersmith and then on to Shepherd's Bush and Wood Lane.

The question is, are there any better routes (possibly though Barnes) and am I going to die at Hammersmith and Shepherd's Bush?

Cheers
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• Fulham Palace road is generally pretty quick and I don't find Hammersmith roundabout that bad so long as you cycle at the speed of the traffic and ride primary. It does get your heart racing though.

Shepherd's bush is worse for kamikaze pedestrians so riding slowly there would be my tip.

Barnes is great if it's late and there's no traffic - otherwise you're filtering and it's pretty dodgy. The road surface is v.bumpy too so if you have a nice bike, you might not appreciate that much.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Take your normal route all the way to Tower Hill, double back for westbound action, up Fulham Palace Road. By the time you reach there, the rush hour will have subsided. Simples! :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Take your normal route all the way to Tower Hill, double back for westbound action, up Fulham Palace Road. By the time you reach there, the rush hour will have subsided. Simples! :D

Now that's a plan!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX