How to deal with construction site hazards on the roadway

lark
lark Posts: 15
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi there
Here is some useful advice from my brother (a safety manager) on how to deal with construction site hazards on the roadway or cycle track.

I got fed up of repeatedly phoning Camden Council to complain about construction trucks pulling out across, or parking on, the cycle tracks through Bloomsbury.
(Don't get me started on how stupid these particilar cyle tracks are anyway ...)

Anyway, here is the advice, in case you have to deal with similar situations.

1 Contact the Considerate Constructor scheme.

http://www.ccscheme.org.uk/

Most companies sign up to this scheme and the scheme are straight onto a site if they get a complaint – they hate the negative press.

2 Contact the council
It will probably be the highways engineer you need

3 Contact the local press
Send in a photo of bad parking / cyclists & pedestrians swerving etc

4 Contact the HSE local office
Ask for a construction inspector – do not accept a receptionist.
Explain you have spoken to the council.
Explain you understand the site has a S3 duty under HASAWA and a CDM duty to protect public / manage traffic movements
Ask for their email & name and send them pics

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    lark wrote:
    Hi there
    Here is some useful advice from my brother (a safety manager) on how to deal with construction site hazards on the roadway or cycle track.

I got fed up of repeatedly phoning Camden Council to complain about construction trucks pulling out across, or parking on, the cycle tracks through Bloomsbury.
    (Don't get me started on how stupid these particilar cyle tracks are anyway ...)

Anyway, here is the advice, in case you have to deal with similar situations.

1 Contact the Considerate Constructor scheme.

http://www.ccscheme.org.uk/

Most companies sign up to this scheme and the scheme are straight onto a site if they get a complaint – they hate the negative press.

2 Contact the council
    It will probably be the highways engineer you need

3 Contact the local press
    Send in a photo of bad parking / cyclists & pedestrians swerving etc

4 Contact the HSE local office
    Ask for a construction inspector – do not accept a receptionist.
    Explain you have spoken to the council.
    Explain you understand the site has a S3 duty under HASAWA and a CDM duty to protect public / manage traffic movements
    Ask for their email & name and send them pics

Alternative : Carry a big "D" lock.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"