New Bike - Fixie

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I am considering getting a new bike on C2W...i think i want a fixie/single speed for ease of maintenance (i.e. none).

Currently seriously considering the Cinneli Mystic rats in black

normal_mystic_rats.jpg

Any opinions? I basically want something Italian/Spanish and a bit poncy. :D

Comments

• That is very nice. Surprised the model isn't called Cinelli Il Ponso.
  • I would get the white one. Proper poncy! But I like the Genesis Day One Cross bikes.... hmmmmmmmm
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Sewinman
    mantaray wrote:
    That is very nice. Surprised the model isn't called Cinelli Il Ponso.

Check out the blurb!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The origin of the species changes. The black rat removes its skin and underneath has always been dressed in a white smoking as the director of a swing orchestra. The rhythm is boogie and syncopated to ride on road and track (flip-flop rear hub). Bull horn handlebar for grab, Unicanitor saddle. An apparition."
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Sewinman wrote:
    mantaray wrote:

"The origin of the species changes. The black rat removes its skin and underneath has always been dressed in a white smoking as the director of a swing orchestra. The rhythm is boogie and syncopated to ride on road and track (flip-flop rear hub). Bull horn handlebar for grab, Unicanitor saddle. An apparition."
    I approve (see sig) :D

Like that they've called it 'smoking', that's also what Sweden calls DJs/Tuxes..!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Sewinman
    sarajoy wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    mantaray wrote:

I approve (see sig) :D

Like that they've called it 'smoking', that's also what Sweden calls DJs/Tuxes..!

Ha ha...i want to cycle past italian tourists and for them to think to themselves...'the rythm is boogie, an apparition'...cos obviously that is the way they think about bikes, obviously.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Not a fan. something about it unsettles me. I don't like the pre tarted look.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    You park that bike up and people would lay flowers by it.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Needs a spok, then you'll be totally "hip"
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Looks nice, but would change the bars to normal drops <runs for cover>
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hahahahahaha he said 'Fixie.'
  • Check out the blurb!!!!!!!!!!!!

That must have lost something in translation. Or gained.[/quote]
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Sewinman wrote:
    I am considering getting a new bike on C2W...i think i want a fixie/single speed for ease of maintenance (i.e. none).

I've never really gotten this. How much maintenance do people really do on geared road bikes?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    mantaray wrote:

That must have lost something in translation. Or gained.
    [/quote]

Gained, definitely. It makes me want to go and buy one now, who cares about the actual bike?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Aidy wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I've never really gotten this. How much maintenance do people really do on geared road bikes?

None. Today I ran my finger down the seatstay and had completely forgotten that it is actually black with the word Giant on it in white. :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Aidy wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

My experience has been that after a winter or two's hard commuting, the drivetrain on a (derailleur) geared bike starts to play up. The salt, grit & rain increases wear on the chain, the heavily used sprockets wear in sympathy and before long you get skipping between good & bad cogs and have to change out half the drivetrain...
    If you run a fixie/SS, the sprocket, chainring & chain wear together, so you don't get the differential wear problem, you can also use chunky 1/8" cogs, which have 50% more metal for the wear surfaces and you don't have any shifters, derailleurs or shift-cables to get mucky, rusty or frozen. It Just Works.

To avoid wearing out a modern drivetrain you should clean and lube it regularly... it's this maintenance that an FG/SS bike requires less of.

I live in Scotland, where we get a lot of grotty weather in winter. If you live somewhere drier and warmer then your mileage will probably be quite a bit better!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    My experience has been that after a winter or two's hard commuting, the drivetrain on a (derailleur) geared bike starts to play up. The salt, grit & rain increases wear on the chain, the heavily used sprockets wear in sympathy and before long you get skipping between good & bad cogs and have to change out half the drivetrain...
    If you run a fixie/SS, the sprocket, chainring & chain wear together, so you don't get the differential wear problem, you can also use chunky 1/8" cogs, which have 50% more metal for the wear surfaces and you don't have any shifters, derailleurs or shift-cables to get mucky, rusty or frozen. It Just Works.
    I've had my chain "slip" a couple of times. I've been pedalling and the chain just seems not to catch so my foot goes straight down without resistance (if you can understand what I mean). Is that what you mean by skipping.
    I live in Scotland, where we get a lot of grotty weather in winter. If you live somewhere drier and warmer then your mileage will probably be quite a bit better!!

Cheers,
    W.
    And hillier making an SS not very practical :(
  • Looks nice, but would change the bars to normal drops

Moustache bars work well on fixed. At least, for me they do.

(Front brake at end of bar on right)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    suzyb wrote:
    My experience has been that after a winter or two's hard commuting, the drivetrain on a (derailleur) geared bike starts to play up. The salt, grit & rain increases wear on the chain, the heavily used sprockets wear in sympathy and before long you get skipping between good & bad cogs and have to change out half the drivetrain... If you run a fixie/SS, the sprocket, chainring & chain wear together, so you don't get the differential wear problem, you can also use chunky 1/8" cogs, which have 50% more metal for the wear surfaces and you don't have any shifters, derailleurs or shift-cables to get mucky, rusty or frozen. It Just Works.
    I've had my chain "slip" a couple of times. I've been pedalling and the chain just seems not to catch so my foot goes straight down without resistance (if you can understand what I mean). Is that what you mean by skipping.
    Could well be. If your chain is worn it can ride up the sprockets and slip.
    Similarly, if it isn't but your sprockets are then the same can happen... and this applies to chainrings as well as rear sprockets, BTW.
    I live in Scotland, where we get a lot of grotty weather in winter. If you live somewhere drier and warmer then your mileage will probably be quite a bit better!! Cheers, W.
    And hillier making an SS not very practical :(
    I'm in the central belt, so it's not too bad. Let's me kid myself that I'm hard-core. Though... :-)
    Cheers,
    W.
    suzyb wrote:

! How'd you manage that, then? I wanted to change to Buns but ended up getting my Stats name changed to WGWarburton instead!!