Blue LED lights

2»

Comments

• Catfish wrote:
    bellys wrote:
    if they have blue lights on there bikes i would if i was a copper and for the record im not take there bikes of them and burn em the bikes not the riders...Tonymufc is not a bad lad just had a hard life. :lol:

Good job your not a copper cos you would be going home with a sore nose. :lol:

My point about being attached to the bike will be argued as and when it happens, if it happens.

Take a look at this and tell me illegal or not.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/j ... over-19248

This argument could go round and round all day so if you think blue lights on a bike are illegal then don't use them but until i'm told face to face in a cort of law i will carry on using mine.

green is not blue.

yes I agree that many pedals don't conform to the law, but I suspect you've a better chance of having the book thrown at you with blue lights than missing reflectors etc.

case in point on my commute bike the pedals can't be seen from behind.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    I also have one of these, brought without any thought that the law might discourage it. After hearing on here that they might in some circumstances be illegal I now now longer run it in flashing mode; I either run it in the mesh pocket of my bike bag, or mounted on the front fork so that it catches the wheel reflector. Might or might not do any good, but given I've got it might as well switch it on.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • Okay peeps, Here is the response from Grampian Police. Still some ambiguity if you ask me, but like earlier posters will continue to use (along with red lights) until informed otherwise. Now where can I get SPD's with reflectors?

I have attached a couple of links below, which will hopefully help you with regards to the legislation surrounding the use of bicycle lights :

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3522

With regards to the use of blue lights, the issue usually comes down to whether their use could cause any person to believe they were fitted to an emergency service vehicle. It is obviously an offence for such lights to be fitted to anything other than an emergency service vehicle.

I understand that safety is of paramount importance, and visability is obviously extremely important to cyclist.

Regards

Road Safety Grampian

Ned Flanders: “You were cycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were cycling to a lake.”
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    So this would mean that as long as the police believe that you haven't put the blue light on, to impersonate an emergency vehicle, they will let it slide because they understand that due to being a vulnerable road user, its more important to be highly visible.
  • nyanza
    nyanza Posts: 68
    I have a flashing blue spokelit attached to the spokes in my front wheel.

I've been stopped by police (London) when it's been in and they didn't care.
    I've also specifically asked the police if it's ok and they response was:
    -If it's not your only light then it's fine (meaning only white and red fulfill the legal requirements for lights to ride in the dark)
    -Blue flashers perceived as a novelty item, not a legal light. ie. they ignore it.
    -It's obvious that you are not impersonating an emergency vehicle, so it's fine.
    -And if you get pulled over for wearing it you have full rights to ask the copper "have you got nothing better to do".

All comments made by the police (Avon and Somerset).
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    nyanza wrote:
    I have a flashing blue spokelit attached to the spokes in my front wheel.

I've been stopped by police (London) when it's been in and they didn't care.
    I've also specifically asked the police if it's ok and they response was:
    -If it's not your only light then it's fine (meaning only white and red fulfill the legal requirements for lights to ride in the dark)
    -Blue flashers perceived as a novelty item, not a legal light. ie. they ignore it.
    -It's obvious that you are not impersonating an emergency vehicle, so it's fine.
    -And if you get pulled over for wearing it you have full rights to ask the copper "have you got nothing better to do".

All comments made by the police (Avon and Somerset).

Why did they stop you?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I haven't been stopped, but I've been passed by (and passed) police vehicles with my blue LEDs on at the back of my bike. Still yet to have a problem with them.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    I haven't been stopped, but I've been passed by (and passed) police vehicles with my blue LEDs on at the back of my bike. Still yet to have a problem with them.

Maybe they didn't see you? :lol:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Between bellys and Catfish it's like the Queen Vic in here. Leave it aaaht lads, it ain't worf it.
  • nyanza
    nyanza Posts: 68
    why did they stop you?

Utterly surreal experience - I moved into primary to overtake a cyclist dressed in black with no lights. I was pulled over by an unmarked police car sitting behind me, as my overtake in primary was apparently "erratic and dangerous cycling". The problem was that they thought I was swerving, rather than overtaking, because they hadn't seen the other bike!!