Who's upset the puncture fairy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich158
Rich158 Posts: 2,348
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
That's right, I feel like ITB in disguise :shock:

Got the fixie out on Wednesday night, Thursday morning the front tyre is as flat as a pancake :twisted: Oh well I change it, and check the tyre for debris before I set off, not a good start to the day. Then not 150 yards into my commute I get that psssshhhtttttt sound of a tyre rapidly deflating :cry: I trudge home, get out the winter bike out, change the pedals (surely changing shoes would have been easier) and resolve to double check the front on the fixie over the weekend. At lunchtime I check my tyres, experience has taught me fuixing a puncture in a dark office car park isn't fun, and the rear is very slightly soft. I pump it up a bit, and by the evening it's soft again. Oh well thinks I, it should hold up, and head off for a few bears :lol: Thankfully after a few bears to many I head off to the train station :oops: and it gets me home. This morning it's a flat as a pancake, guess I should have fixed it last night.

Yep three deflations in two trips and now I'm in the car, and about to order a new batch of tubes from wiggle. Doesn't the PF realise I've got my stats to think about :roll:
pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I had a bad day last friday.

Finished work and found my back tyre flat.
    Not sure what i was riding though but tyre was covered in sticky stuff which made getting it off a nightmare (not helped that i had a new crankbros speed lever that sucks)
    Finally (30mins later) got the tyre off, stiick in the new inner after failing to find the puncture in the old one or any debris in the tyre,
    Put everything back and cleaned up.
    Started pumping... pumping pumping.. not going as smoothly as usual, removed pump, and valve shot across the room (crap specialized inners).
    Fortunately had another spare innter, put that in and was finally on my way, well over an hour after first arriving at my bike.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Clearly not enough sacrifices are being made to the P*** Fairy. Sort it out guys! :lol:
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    Clearly not enough sacrifices are being made to the P*** Fairy. Sort it out guys! :lol:

I went for four months on my new bike without a single visit and now I've had two in the space of a week!

I fixed one of them at my desk in the office not realising quite how filthy the wheel was until it was too late :oops:

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Oddjob62 wrote:
    (not helped that i had a new crankbros speed lever that sucks)

Darn it - just ordered one of those from Wiggle!

I have a real problem refitting the tyres on my road bike (25mm Gatorskin Ultras on Campag Vento wheels). After a puncture earlier this week* I tried using a Var lever I bought recently ... and it's useless - it's far too weak. I finally got the tyre back on (after about an hour of sobbing with frustration) by going to get my gardening gloves which protected my mangled thumbs quite well. And then logged on to Wiggle and ordered a Speed Lever. I suspect the Speed Lever will be the same - if it's too tight to do with your thumbs then it will break any fancy tyre levers you might try. And read that last sentence how you will ... :shock:

* I even saw the chav throw the glass bottle from the window of his Peugeot 106 and watched it explode all over the junction of Rosendale Road and the South Circular (SE21, London) but thought I had managed to avoid all the debris. A few minutes later in the warmth and quiet of my hallway, I heard a hissing sound and found a big chunk of glass in my tyre. :(
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Rich158
    Cafewanda wrote:

In that case I vote we sacrifice ITB, we might all stand a chance in the stats then :lol:

I did hear he was having a light week, she's obviously decided to come and play with the rest of us as there's no ITB to taunt :twisted:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Rich158 wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

In that case I vote we sacrifice ITB, we might all stand a chance in the stats then :lol:

I did hear he was having a light week, she's obviously decided to come and play with the rest of us as there's no ITB to taunt :twisted:

bad news Rich, ITB has decamped to The Antipodes for the remainder of February.

We're all scre\/\/ed!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    ...removed pump, and valve shot across the room (crap specialized inners)

Happened to me this morning!

Noticed first flat at 07.30ish so get the wheel off, tire off and inner tube out. Remove bit of flint, put new inner in, get tire back on then realise I don't have my bloody pump with me (can remember exactly where it is, but that's no use).

Two mile walk to the gym, park up, do session and then use the pump that's conveniently been left on bike next to mine to pump it up. Final check before setting off and notice another bit of flint embedded in. Grr. Deflate tire, lever out flint and start to pump up again...

...remove pump, BIG hiss. Bit confused so look at the valve...it's not there! Couldn't see it on the floor anywhere either so no idea where that went. It can be my sacrifice!

Another walk to Evans Canary Wharf to pick up a new inner, get it all sorted and use their pump to get me going again.

I've had better mornings...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Rich158
    Attica wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

bad news Rich, ITB has decamped to The Antipodes for the remainder of February.

We're all scre\/\/ed!

I did wonder, she usually leaves me alone :wink: I just hope the old boy isn't racking up any miles down under.

Looks like it's going to be another fun Friday night fixing punctures and checking my tyres for foreign objects

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Note to self: buy more inner tubes this weekend...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I had three this morning all in the space of 2 hours in Richmond park. Seems to be glass everywhere.
  • Oddjob62
    Well i just got another pack of 5 VR inners in the post yesterday. Hopefully they will last longer than the last 5.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Oddjob62 wrote:

I love mine...

But then I run Rubino pros and not with spesh tubes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'll be here http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-28.4397 ... 113.725833

Don't think they'll be too much cycling going on 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:

Have a good time matey, looks idyllic.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 wrote:

I love mine...

But then I run Rubino pros and not with spesh tubes.

I have Rub pros as well, usualy with Rub inners but i had run out so had the Spec as a spare, but i think the "sticky stuff" that i mentioned was causing issues... couldn't for the life of me push the lever along the rim. At least with normal levers you can try some other ways to lever the tyre out, but the crankbros POS is only one piece so if it doesn't work the way it was designed you're screwed.
  • Rich158
    itboffin wrote:

you lucky barsteward. Just don't get eaten by sharks, have a good time matey :lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    No luck in old pal the flights alone are costing more than the AR2 :( I know which would give me more long term pleasure.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Sacrifice CASH.Buy Marathon plus.They work.