Website for calculating (accurate) cycling commute times?

barrybridges
barrybridges Posts: 420
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Hello - can anyone offer any help?

I'm looking for a website that lets you put in your route (like Google Maps) and then it tells you - reasonably accurately - how long it would take by bike (assuming an average speed of some sort).

Google Maps tells you by car, but one of the main things about commuting into London is time spent at lights, junctions, squeezing past cars etc. If there were a website that factored in junctions and lights it would be really helpful.

Does anyone know of one?

Comments

• Doesn't matter how fast or slow I travel through London the answer is always the same - 15.4mph.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • http://gb.mapometer.com/en/

They this one. You can put in your average speed and method of travel. It doesn't factor in lights and the like, but if you stick your average speed in, it will tell you the time, distance and elevation.

Make sure you select the "Auto-follow roads" option to get a proper distance.
  • The London transport travel planner tool (www.tfl.gov.uk and then click on journey planner and advanced options) will estimate time to travel on a bike, including junctions, faffage, locking up time etc. I find their times a worst-case scenario, assuming I'm cycling in jeans and trying not to get hot & bothered.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    CycleStreets has a reasonable stab at that -- it acts as a route planner too: put in your start/end, and your expected speed, and it will try to work out the distance. It does do traffic lights etc too.
    One caveat: all the data is from OpenStreetMap (OSM), so it may not yet be complete, (You can always add or fix the data though).

I tend to use BikeHike and work on my average speed being about 15 mph though..
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.