Has Contador ever raced on cobbles before?

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Just curious about whether AC has ever raced a cobbled classic...

Comments

• pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I very much doubt it. The Spanish stage racers see participation in the cobbled Classics as nothing short of punishment and generally climb off their bikes at the first feed stop!
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Aren't these cobbles getting blown out of all proportion? Contador's no Iban Mayo - he'll keep out of trouble, probably by glueing himself to Armstrong's wheel :lol:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Does that tiny stretch on the run-in to Avila count?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's managed the Champs Elysees ok.

This summer's sections are not the worst that you get in April, they are far more tame.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    micron wrote:
    Aren't these cobbles getting blown out of all proportion? Contador's no Iban Mayo - he'll keep out of trouble, probably by glueing himself to Armstrong's wheel :lol:

Almost definitely. It will most likely be a bigger anti climax than the Ventoux stage last year. I hope I am wrong though...
    Mañana
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I was of the impression there was a few kms of 4* Roubaix cobbles in there.
    Even without mistakes, I'd expect it to cause breaks.

Schleck seems to think he'll be ok.
    exercise.png
  • As is to be expected he will be doing a lot of training on the cobbles prior to the Tour.

I hope he loses a few minutes along with Andy and Frank to put them on the back foot before the mountains and then bury themselves on the slopes to make it back and some.

I also hope EBH makes a move with the Belgian big guns.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Surely if it all gets too dangerous a certain old American will declare it an unofficial rest day!! :wink:
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I hope he loses a few minutes along with Andy and Frank to put them on the back foot before the mountains and then bury themselves on the slopes to make it back and some.

+1 it would make for a very exciting and close Tour all the way you would think. As you say it would certainly mean they will have to go all out in the mountians, which would be cracking viewing for certain! :D